Monday, January 21, 2019

MONDAY - welcome to another new week

I’ve been doing the miracle morning for 16 days.  (more or less, certainly haven’t done the 10 minutes exercise portion for 16 days in a row... but have been to every own it work out since I started…)  Today is my friend DeDe’s DAY 1.  GO DeDe!!!!

Yesterday was a good day.  Nejad Arshad is home from his mission to Argentina, and he gave his misison report yesterday.  It is always fun for me to see how much they have grown through their mission experiences.   It is also also great to see the former ward members that come back to welcome them home.  Ends up feeling a little like a big “ward family” reunion.

After church, we were supposed to have “Aunt Kathy” and cousin Christina over for lunch and a visit.  Christina ended up needed to cancel, then Kathy begged off as she was feeling run down and needing rest more than visiting.  It ended up being a blessing for me, as it opened up my afternoon to taking care of other things.  I took Carter & Bryan over to a Merit Badge counselor’s home to pass off their scholarship merit badge (FINALLY!)  Bryan has been “done” with the work since the end of September, but first we were waiting for other boys to finish, then we had a hard time working it into the schedule, as the the boys both got busy with the school play, then the holidays, plus the MB counselor travels all the time for his work…  Anyway, we went over to meet with him.  Ended up being a 2 hour visit.  He talked and talked with the boys.  It was a long time, but I thought it was good.  As we left, Carter said, “I actually really enjoyed that.”  He talked with them about the difference between getting “good grades” and actually getting an education.  He talked to them about the importance of loving learning - and being life-long learners.  About THINKING, not just giving the expected answers.  It wouldn’t have been 2 hours, except Carter had a partial Merit Badge for Citizenship in the Nation from a BYU PowWow, and this guy (Don Pendleton) is also a MB counselor for that one.  So roughly the first hour was talking about scholarship, the second hour about citizenship in the Nation.  Brother Pendleton has a great understanding and love for our country and it was a great discussion for the boys.

After that, I did some prep work with the music, then we had stake choir at 6pm.  It was our first rehearsal and I think it went well.  We have people committed from every ward except one.  We are also lacking representation from the singles in our stake.  It is a difficult spot, as it is the stake “family choir” but I firmly believe a single person is still a “family unit” in the eyes of the church and we want them there.  I’m just not sure how to go about getting them there, and not offending them in the process of pouring salt on a wound that is already burning.

After stake choir, I was gathering up all the music and stuff after everyone left, a group of young women from the Spanish ward came in to practice/learn a song they are going to sing in church in 2 weeks.  It was a song none of them had heard before, but one that I had sung before, so sister Silveira asked me to stay and help them.  I did and it was fun.  I LOVE to sing.  I love the spirit that comes through music.

Today is Martin Luther King day.  Actually, maybe the real name now is "Civil Rights Day" or something like that...  I don't  know.  either way, we don't have school.  :)  I'll be going to the temple this morning with Katrina, Bryan and a few of the other youth.  (They'll do baptisms, I'll do an endowment session.)  Don't have anything else specific planned, but I might check and see if the acupuncture clinic is open today and get in there.  I'm hoping that acupuncture can help with my shoulder pain and lack of range of motion, but it is over in Orem, and is at least an hour time commitment, and I just don't always seem to make the time to get over there.  Hopefully today...

No comments: