Tuesday, February 26, 2019

strep, weight, and perspective

Let’s see. What did I do yesterday? Monday? Oh yeah… (I just went back and read what I wrote in the morning, and that jarred my memory a little bit.) I dropped off the other kids at school and then took Caleb to the Dr. YUP, just as I thought - he has strep. I picked up the prescription, then left him here at home and I went to work. It was a good enough day at work, but there is one little boy who really seems to be going through a hard time right now. For the past 3-4 weeks he has just been on the edge, and it takes the tiniest little things to shove him over - resulting in major behavioral issues. I feel bad for him - but I don’t know what to do. He won’t talk about what’s bothering him, but there is certainly SOMETHING going on. I wish I knew how to help him. The weather yesterday was beautiful and today is supposed to be just as nice! (like up in the 40’s) I think I’ll go for a walk today. I’ve been thinking a lot about Aaron (of course) and his addictions, and I was watching a video that said something along the lines of “I know most of you have come here because you want to help someone else, but I want you to stop and think about the last time YOU fell short of a goal you had for yourself. The last time that YOU didn’t follow through on a commitment you had made to yourself to do something that you knew you should do. (I of course thought of how I’ve been trying to lose weight for about 10 years now. I lose 10 - 20 lbs, then I gain it all back, PLUS some. Right now, I am at sitting at another all time HIGH weight. Why haven’t I been able to “quit?” Why don’t I have the “will power” to stop eating garbage and exercise more? Thinking about this perspective has helped me realize that there are no simple answers here. I am also trying to figure out a new game plan to tackle my OWN demons… maybe I need to start trying to be an example instead of a “preacher.”

No comments: