Wednesday, April 2, 2008

comparisons

One of my worst habits popped up again this morning...

I was reading my blog roll and Shellie (little but loud) awarded "Jenna" (whom I had never heard of or read or anything) with an award for the following post: Simmering Down. I of course popped on over and read it - and loved it. It was beautifully written and very insightful. I decided to read a few other of Jenna's posts to see if they were equally good. I randomly picked "sugar and spice" from her recent posts and again found it well written and right on the mark.

Of course, me being me, I instantly began comparing myself to her in my typical negative fashion. "I can't write even remotely as well as she can..." "Her posts are interesting, contemplative, and thought provoking; mine are boring reports of what chores I did or didn't accomplish during the day." "Why do I even bother..." etc...

After a few more thoughts along this line, I stopped being negative and reminded myself that in order to be "thought provoking" and "insightful," you need a working brain and some time to think and have insights. Right now, I really don't have either of those essential items. My brain is on hiatus, I can't recall the last time I had a good nights sleep, I have 3 preschoolers at home with me all day, who can undo at lighten speed anything that I actually manage to get done when not holding my 3 month old bundle of joy. My one child that is gone to school during the day makes the Tasmanian devil look calm. As soon as he walks through the front door, I wonder why I even bothered to try to get the house in order...

(deep breath) To every thing there is a time and a season. (exhale)

So basically - for the next 4 - 5 years, feel free to just check in here periodically to see if by chance something deep and profound shows up. But DO come back in about 5 years. I'm planning that by then I should have my brain in partial working order again and I should be able to have at least a couple hours each day (while kids are in school) of semi-peaceful, quiet, "pondering" time in which I can develop some deep and meaningful insights to share. (OR NOT, I guess only time will tell)

Until then, I will continue to simply keep a record of my days - my ups and downs - my challenges. LOVE TO YOU ALL - who show an interest in my simple little life; well written and meaningful, or not...

3 comments:

musicmom said...

I love to read your blog. I always get excited to see a new post, they always make me smile, and keep my in perspective. I am glad that you got me hooked on blogging!! About being deep or profound, I think you are a very normal mom, and I am glad you post just the way you do! Have a wonderful day. I will keep reading for the next five years, and see where the time takes us (to teenagers--YIKES!). Love ya back!

Harmony said...

Jeri, if you start trying to be anyone besides yourself, I will stop reading your blog. :-) I know too many cool people who like you just the way you are.

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

I am enjoying your blog. It really sounds like real life and yet it makes me laugh. Things seldom go as planned, as you demonstrated with picture day tales. Most moms have no brain and I think it was Elder Ballard who talked about, "to everything there is a season" in reguards to motherhood. I really can't wait to read that talk! I missed so much of it while dealing with kids. Anyway, thanks for your blog. It's making me think about doing one, but I have NO IDEA how.
Chat with you later!
Melissa