Thursday, April 17, 2008

Nutella

ok - so like my whole life I've seen the product "Nutella," sitting right there on shelf by the peanut butter. "spreadable chocolaty-hazelnut spread???" I LOVE nuts and I love chocolate, so I figured I would like it, but could never bring myself to actually buy it...............
until yesterday.

my review??? I think it is yummy yummy yummy, but it should be in the dessert section, not by the peanut butter. Being by the peanut butter made me think of it as a sandwich making item. I love peanut butteer, almond butter, cashew butter (you get the idea), so I was expecting hazelnut butter with a little chocolate added. I thought it came in a brown plastic bottle and that I could use it as an alternative to peanut butter. FYI - It does NOT come in a brown bottle - the brown you see IS the chocolate spread! I realize this may be common knowledge to the rest of the world, but it surprised me. For lunch we had Nutella sandwiches. The result? YUM, but I just couldn't give myself a "point" for eating a "healthy lunch." (on my spreadsheet, see previous post) The calorie count is identical to peanut butter and fat count is actually lower, but the grams of sugar is 3 times what it is in peanut butter. (even more than that if I had compared it to what I usually buy, the natural, no sugar added kind...) Basically, Nutella tastes like you are eating a chocolate candy bar for lunch. Delicious, but not really a good habit to get into. (Especially for someone like me - a chocoholic who has a seriously hard time saying no.)
So - in case you just couldn't go on living one more day without knowing what I think about Nutella spread...there you have it. I think that in the future I'll be using it as a "healthier alternative" to frosting, but trying to limit the consumption of "chocolate sandwiches."

And just in case you are interested, I pulled up the website and found the history of Nutella:

"Nutella®, in its original form, was first created in the 1940s by Mr. Pietro Ferrero, a pastry maker and founder of the Ferrero company. At the time, cocoa was in short supply because of rationing due to World War II, so chocolate was very limited.

So Mr. Ferrero used hazelnuts, which are plentiful in the Piedmont region of Italy (northwest), to extend the chocolate supply." (http://www.nutellausa.com/index.html)

6 comments:

Jennica said...

Ok... first of all this post just made me laugh. I just tried NUTELLA at Christmastime for the first time... YUM YUM YUM. I agree - I could eat it everyday, but not so healthy. MMMMMmmmmmm. I have never thought of it as a frosting.

Great post!

Unknown said...

Interesting post. Thanks, Jeri :-) I think I'll skip the Nutella after this.

Charlotte said...

Nutella is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS on crepes (or freshly cooked tortillas) with whipped creme.

(Just if you're looking for a special, not-a-lot-of-fuss dessert.)

I'd have some in my pantry at all times if it wasn't so expensive.

Luckily, it IS expensive, so it's one more vice that I only have to battle occasionally, rather than every single day!

Harmony said...

Nutella is usually least expensive at Wal-mart. I have four jars of it in my food storage room at the moment. Occasionally you can find coupons attached to the jars or in the Sunday paper. During the picky toddler stage each of my kids have SURVIVED on bread and Nutella (two of them still don't like peanut butter or most forms of meat, and one doesn't like mac-n-cheese). My oldest son takes a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich to school in his lunch bag EVERY day. He calls it PB&C (for chocolate). I figure it's not really healthy, but it's more healthy than jam, jelly, or honey, right? We most often eat Nutella on bread, rolls, crepes, and pretzels. Me, I prefer my chocolate in a more pure form, but my family would be lost (and probably emaciated) without Nutella. Go Nutella!

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

Ok, Jeri, get on the ball! I have been checking your blog for new words of wisdom everyday and I have been bitterly disappointed to find nothing new to encourage me! LOL! I really want to hear about how your new charting is working. I would like to try it myself, but I don't really know how to work a spread sheet. I guess I could do it by hand, but that would take effort and lately I have been too lazy. I did start my own blog, though. I was inspired by you and Cheri and some of the blog links you have on your site. Thanks! Melissa

Shellie said...

Oh, how I love nutella, but if you have nutella sandwiches, you should make them for dessert or a snack, not lucnch! I didn't know the history, but that makes sense. I love love love the Ferrero Roche balls they are scrumptious!!!!