Thursday, February 12, 2009

nature girl...

Have you ever wondered what people really think of you? Well, I may have gotten a glimpse -

My friend Holly is the YW camp director for our ward and they had a camp certification activity last night. On Monday she had a meeting with Ari, the Youth Camp Leader, to plan the certification classes for the Wed. night activity. They needed someone to teach the class on "Sanitation." Ari thought for a few moments, then suggested my name.

I didn't think much about it, until I started teaching my presentation to the second group of girls and when I said, "I'm here to teach you all about how to get rid of your camp garbage and how to properly go poop while hiking."
Sheldon started laughing (which actually was the goal, I wanted them to feel as comfortable as possible while discussing such 'fun' topics) and she said, "oh man! I can't believe they asked you to teach that! It's like, what?? they were sitting around wondering who would be able to teach how to go poop in the woods and they thought, "Hey, Sister M- could do that!!!"
I just laughed and said, "what can I say, I'm at one with nature..." then went on with my presentation. it all went well, and if you ask the girls this morning, they can all tell you 4 ways to purify water for drinking, how to properly dispose of garbage at camp and while hiking, how to dispose of dirty camp water, and that you should be 200 feet away from any known water source before digging a hole and taking care of personal "business."
After they had completed the four certification classes, I taught them a couple new songs to sing at camp. It was fun. We have such an amazing group of young women right now in our ward. It would be a great time to serve in the Young Woman's organization. I served as 1st counselor in YW's about 6 years ago, and it wasn't so much fun. We had a really challenging group of girls and it was one big drama-fest after another. I can certainly testify of the importance of a strong and stable home environment. Back then, the majority of our girls came from broken homes, abusive or neglectful situations, and had serious issues. We worked hard, loved much, and did our best, but it was really really tough! The girls here now are good and strong. They are kind to one another. They are unified as a group, and love and care for one another. It is just delightful to be around them.

Anyway...as I was saying - now I know what people think of when they think of me - "poopin' in the outdoors and garbage disposal"

How about you?

* as an after thought, I thought I should add that while I may sound like I am offended, I am actually flattered that the young women (Ari, in particular) thought of me and thought I would 1) be knowledgeable about camping issues, 2) would be willing to teach the certification and 3) would be able to make it both educational and fun for the girls... All in all I'm more than happy to be the silly/singing/poopy/trash lady...

3 comments:

musicmom said...

I think they think a whole lot of you to ask you in the first place. IT sounds like you did a great job. You always do. You have a way with words! You always seem to know what to say.

Holly said...

So last night, when we were trying to take the girls home, they wanted to wait and sing their new songs for the Bishop. While he was chatting with them, he asked what they'd learned and Kiana spoke right up and said that she had learned that you have to be at least 200 feet from the nearest water source to dig a hole to do you "business" in. The Bishop of course laughed and then said that it talked about it in the Bible (Isa was THRILLED that she was right). Enjoy! Deuteronomy 23: 12-14

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I loved this! You are perfect for that job! This is why I think so...because you are down to earth. Yo take things with a grain of salt and a "No big deal" attitude. I LOVE that. Who better to impress upon young girls that it really is no big deal to squat and go?

Good job darlin! Sure love you!