Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My little Daniel Boone...

Okay, so did anyone out there actually think I'd be able to sleep with this costume thing hanging over my head? NO WAY!!! After posting that picture of Daniel Boone, I looked closely at the shirt thing he had on, and I thought, "how hard could it be..."
So 11:30 pm found me at the local Walmart buying some brown material. (you most likely couldn't care less, but I feel compelled to tell you that this was the first time I've been in a Walmart for about 3 years. Bryan was a new baby the last time I went. I have "personal issues" with Walmart and I don't shop there, but there was nowhere else that was local, open, and likely to have brown material - so I bit the bullet and went...)


Anyway, back to the story. I don't really know how to sew, but I did a simple poncho style type thing - tracing one of his shirts to get the general size, and I thought the finished product turned out pretty well. My thoughts were confirmed when Aaron woke up the next morning and tried it on. He was really pleased with it and felt super confident when he did his report. He liked it well enough, that after school he put it back on on, wore it scouts, and wore it all evening. I was a little tired after staying up to make it, but it was worth it. (the arm fringes don't really show in either picture, but rest assured that he was fringed pretty much everywhere it was possible to be fringed.)


I did my volunteer time, and then since his report was scheduled for right after lunch, I made arraignments to eat lunch with him. He thought it was so cool that I ate in the lunch room with him. I figured I'd go in and help his teacher with stuff while he played during lunch recess. NOPE, he wanted me to play with him, so I went out and played with him and his friends. We played "dead cow" (don't ask, I still don't really get it, it's like a strange version of tag)"Mother, May I," and had cartwheel contests. (I was the worst cartwheel-er; they all thought it was hilarious) It was a lot of time out of my day, plus the cost of paying for a babysitter for the other kids, but it was worth it to see Aaron feel so important. He loved having me there. He asked me, "can you do this every week?"

The video below is him doing his report. Of course I forgot to take the camera to school, so he agreed to do the report again at home so I could record it. (he did it lots more smoothly at school, but he was trying to do it without holding his paper in this video, so it was harder for him to read it...)

3 comments:

musicmom said...

VERY CUTE costume. You are such a good mom!! I hope your kids are feeling better. Congrats Aaron, you did a great job on your report.

Harmony said...

Wow Jeri. No motherhood guilt trip for you this week. You've outdone yourself!

Charlotte said...

I'm so impressed--with both of you.