Wednesday, November 14, 2007

ICK

I had an interesting conversation at the pet store Monday. I had noticed for the past couple days that our fish were acting very lethargic, and I noticed little white specks on them - like someone had dusted them with powder or something.
I tested the water and found it dangerously high in nitrates, so I did the 25% water change, and checked the filter - only to discover that it was totally gross anddefinitely needing to be changed. I didn't have a replacement filter, so off I went the pet store. While there I asked the clerk if there was anything else I should be doing to try to help these fish. The conversation went something like this:

ME: My fish are acting very lethargic and they have little white spots all over them.

CLERK: ICK

ME: Ya - it is pretty gross. Do you know what would cause that?

CLERK: ICK

ME: (Thinking, "ya, we already established that it's icky") So... is there something I need to be doing?

CLERK: You need to get rid of the Ick.

ME: OH, Ick is the name of the disease?? How do I take care of it?

CLERK: (pointing to some general location of the store) - ICK Guard

I followed the direction of her point until I finally located some fish medicine looking products and located the elusive Ick Guard. It sure would've helped if the clerk had spoken in full sentences. I'm not really complaining though - they really know their stuff at that store - which is why I only buy my fish and fish supplies there. They may not have the greatest people or communication skills, but they really know their fish!

3 comments:

musicmom said...

It is a good thing they know their ICK. :-) The rest of us can keep guessing.

Laura

Harmony said...

We're thinking about getting fish for our boys for Christmas. Which store is it that really knows their fish, since I don't have a clue?

Jerry said...

ick!