Tuesday, November 20, 2007

$450 later...

Well, we had an adventure here last night. (an expensive one) I sent the kids up the street to return something to a neighbor. I didn't know that they let Jasmine (our dog) out when they left, and she followed them. (I should add here that this isn't really all that unusual. They always let her out with them and she is great at following them - she has been responsible for helping us locate wandering children on numerous occasions.)

The next thing I hear, Aaron comes in the house screaming and crying. "I think Jasmine has a broken leg!!!" I went to investigate and found that Jasmine was limping and bleeding from several spots. Aaron explained to me that they were on their way home after making the delivery. when another neighbor's Pit bull broke loose from where he was tied up, and attacked Jasmine. (They felt terrible, but I don't blame them. Dogs will be dogs, and if Jasmine hadn't been up there - without a leash and adult supervision, it never would have happened.) Anyway, I called the vet and found that they were open for 7 more minutes. Luckily the office is just right down the street and we hurried right over. There were two lacerations that were deep enough and bad enough that she needed to be sedated and stitched up. (There was an third puncture wound that he would have just had us just keep clean until it healed, but since she was already being sedated, he stitched it too.) She got to have a sleep over at the animal hospital last night, and we picked her up this morning as soon as they opened.
Aaron was SO upset and insisted that he couldn't go to school until he had seen that Jasmine was really OK. Since the vet opened at 8:00, I agreed that we could pick her up as soon as they opened and Aaron could be 10 minutes late for school.

So - now Jasmine is home, we are $450 poorer, and I get to spend the next 10 days making sure Bryan doesn't climb on her, that she doesn't lick open her wounds, and that she gets her 2x/day antibiotics and pain medication. Then we get to take her back in to have the stitches removed. FUN FUN FUN

3 comments:

musicmom said...

I am glad that Jasmine is ok. What an adventure, and traumatic for the kids. Hope all will work out in the recovery.

Laura

Charlotte said...

One thing I've always loved about you is that you are slow to over-react, and quick to admit whenever you might have had a hand in unpleasant consequences. I mean, I know many people (one of them with initials c.c.) who might have become livid about this whole thing and blamed the neighbors or (at the very least) blamed the kids. The way you handled it is so much more productive.

Unknown said...

Glad Jasmine's okay. So your family had to go through that. Good luck with all the upcoming tasks, they are not small.