Friday, November 16, 2007

Anemia update

Hi-ya'll

I went into the midwives yesterday for my standing appt. They are concerned that my iron count is still so low and we are this close to delivery. She changed me to prescription iron, which is supposed to be more readily absorbed by the body. They will do another finger poke at the next visit, and if not showing marked improvement, they will put me on IV iron treatments. (That was what she was leaning towards this time, but I opted to give the NON-NEEDLE and the "no-babysitter needed while I go to the hospital twice a week" route. I actually worry more about iron poisoning than I do about being a bit low.

I picked up my prescription and started reading the "side effects and "how to use this prescription" information. I loved the one that listed a huge amount of food that are not to be eaten 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking the medication. Um... I'm still supposed to be eating every 2 hours. I thought to myself - ok, I'll take my night dose right before I go to bed. NOPE. "Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking medication. HELLO!!!!! What a pain! I also read that calcium and zinc block the absorption of Iron. Whoops - I just started taken some after the last blogging babes dinner when Donna told me that magnesium supplements would help me sleep better, and that mag. and calcium together were better than just one or the other. I'll be stopping those particular vitamins until after the iron crisis has passed:)

Only 3 1/2 more weeks. I CAN DO THIS!

On a slight bragging note, I worked really hard on Wednesday. I cleaned my kitchen really quite thoroughly. I even cleaned out and reorganized the pantry. (i was tired of having 4 things fall out on me every time I tried to get out the one thing I needed:) I really do love having a clean house, it is just SO MUCH WORK! And it just doesn't last! In fact, after I spend most of the day cleaning the kitchen, Katrina spilled a FULL pitcher of Kool-aid on the newly mopped floor. (I don't usually buy kool-aid anymore, but I found it while organizing and decided to make it as a special 'treat.' Suffice it to say, re-mopping the floor was the resulting treat.) Then Aaron dumped his full dinner plate of mashed potatoes with Chicken gravy on the floor. (He was trying to shovel his food in a bit too fast I guess.) Luckily Jasmine (the dog) helped with cleanup on that one. Regardless - I was very proud of the work I got done.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Vitamin C is supposed to help iron absorption too...unfortunately they are acidic and upset my tummy when I was pg. It's always back & forth, isn't it?

Mopping the floor in a home with small children is like asking for someone to spill on it.. :D

Hang in there, not too far to go.