Wednesday, January 28, 2009

God Bless America

I am afraid for America. I am very disturbed by this "stimulus" package. Where has basic common sense gone? Can they not look a the package Bush passed and see that throwing money at the problem isn't fixing it? All it seems to be doing is raising the debt level and increasing many Americans dependence on government. - aka feelings of entitlement. I can just FEEL the tax burden looming over my head and the heads of my poor children. How can these politicians even say with a straight face that this package is aimed to give a quick jolt to America's Economy??? a full 60% of the TRILLION dollars won't even be spent during the next four years. Tell me, exactly what is QUICK about that?

A chunk of the 10-o-clock news tonight was about how congress has been meeting and debating about what to do about another "crisis." I'm referring to the switch to digital TV, and that the government ran out of money for converter boxes so millions of people are going to be without TV in 3 weeks. HEAVEN FORBID! What will the world come to??? How will people ever survive? I'm just waiting to find a line item in the stimulus package that gives $2000 for a new digital big screen TV for everyone who doesn't have a box, or can't/won't pay for cable,

I was sitting here tonight ready to go to bed, (which is where I should be instead of blogging, but I'm really quite worked up about this...) when onto the PBS channel came the show Hubner vs Hitler. I am alarmed by the similarities I see. You know what they say - those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

In Germany, people were down and discouraged, and as a result they followed, rather blindly, as charismatic leader who promised them the world and gave them hope. In this documentary that is playing behind me, they mentioned that in the beginning, the "working class" put up some resistance, but then as they were were given jobs, they just sort of grew silent as they sort of gave up resisting and decided that at least now they had jobs... The commentator says, "they were selling their soul to the devil, but didn't know it, didn't know what the cost would be."

They of course had to limit information. They were only allowed to listen to the "people's radio," which consisted of 3 stations, all German, all government controlled. It meant severe punishment, even death, to listen to other (BBC) stations. I thought immediately of Obama's recent comments to the congressional republicans when he said, "You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done." (so much for working in a bi-partisan, unity building manner, eh?) Since when does being the President give you the right to tell people what/who they can and cannot listen to? Since when do we not have the right and the responsibility to listen to a variety of points of view, do our own thinking and reasoning, and then determine our OWN opinion and perspective!

I am NOT comfortable with the direction Obama is leading, and it's only been a week. I pray for America, however I fear that my prayers must go unanswered because of the "wickedness" of the people of this land. The Book of Mormon tells us clearly that this land is a land of promise only as long as we worship God and keep his commandments.

No, the world will not end tomorrow. There are still many good, God-fearing, people of faith in America. We are however, becoming more and more of a minority. If not in numbers, than in voice. What is the answer? I don't know. Lots of prayer, faith, hope, and preparation.

Enough of my tirade. I need to chill out and go to bed! Good night

5 comments:

Karlene said...

Amen.

No, wait. I want some of that bail-out money to help get my publishing company going again. I don't need much. A couple million would do it...

ali cross said...

I'm LOL at Karlene's comment.

I wanted to say Amen to what you wrote too Jeri. It's very disconcerting. There's something just plain wrong when all the public opinion polls say Americans want things to go one way and yet all our elected officials are doing it the other way.

Where is our voice? What happened to We The People?

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

The problem I have, is that I don't know WHO to believe. Does everyone lie? I have high hopes for Obama and I sure he does what is good for everyone.

I think he's frustrated, feeling like the republicans ONLY listen to republicans and democrats only listen to democrats.

Somewhere, we DO need to meet in the middle. Although I don't know if it's possible or will ever happen. It makes me sad that even in America, we argue and fight over everything.

Who's right and how do you really know? Even the most convincing people get caught in lies. I have found that I am extremely gullible. I have a hard time knowing who's lying to me. I guess I try to give people the benefit of doubt but it doesn't always work. =(

Sandra said...

This morning on the news they were talking about how Obama chewed out the banks and Wal Street for giving huge bonuses to employees with the bail out money. I was really angry about the bonuses. Just yesterday we had a meeting at school so the principal could let us know how the budget cuts would affect us. We have enough money to pay salaries the rest of this year, but there is no money to purchase basic classroom supplies.

We have a new addition that is in the final stages of being done. The principal said that if he had known our budget would be cut this drastically, he would have not bought some of the things. Teachers are having to figure out how to use their budget to get enough desks for their rooms.

We will not know how the budget cuts will affect us next year. I am sort of worried about my job. Aides are one place that schools are supposed to cut back. The thing that ticks me off about the bonuses? We were supposed to get a bonus at the end of the year- not happening. and the bonuses that the wal street companies are giving out? More than my yearly salary. In fact you could get 2-3 of me for a year with one of those bonuses!

Corinne said...

Amen! It seems like people think this "stimulus" money is just growing on trees. Maybe they need to call it the 3.2 "Trillion Dollar National Debt That Will Come Out Of Your Pocket For The Rest of Your and Your Children's Lives" Stimulus Package. What ever happened to the days when our elected officials remembered that they're public servants...not public dictators. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Check out my blog when you get a second, or a full day. :-) Yes I actually posted!