Wednesday, June 27, 2007

1st prenatal visit

Well, yesterday I went in for my first prenatal appt. I (we) decided this time to go with a midwife instead of my usually family practice Doctor. Dr. Berry delivered all 3 of my kids, and I really like him as a person and over all as a doctor, but as Bryan was being born Tim made a comment that stuck with me. he said, "it seems like they (Dr. and staff) are in a bigger hurry every time. Why can't they just let things happen as they happen naturally?" (Quote isn't exact, but close enough in context to what he said.)

After talking to multiple friends who use midwives, I found a group covered by our insurance and made myself an appt. It is the New Beginnings clinic in Orem, and they work under the direction of 2 OB's, and they deliver in the Orem Community Hospital. (just what I want. The security of a hospital delivery, the knowledge of an expect if needed, and the more natural, personal, and laid back attitude of the midwives.) There are 4 midwives (plus a midwife nurse practitioner) in the group, and if my experience with the first one I met yesterday is any indication - I think I made the right choice. I loved the CNM that did my initial exam. Very thorough, certainly knew what she was doing. I never love having the full female physical - but it was nice to have a woman. (I've always had male doctors.)

Everything is progressing fine. I heard the baby's heartbeat and they scheduled me for the 20 week ultrasound for the end of July. In a way, it's hard to believe I'm almost 1/2 way done. (I've been counting from conception date, not last menstrual cycle, so I got to jump up 2 weeks.) This is the time of pregnancy that is the best for me. I'm not sick all the time, and I'm not too big and fat yet so I can still move around and do what I want to do. I do still get tired and my back hurts and I have to get up several times a night to use the bathroom, but it's not too bad.

The CNM took one look at my varicose veins and told me I need to wear my super-sucker hose again. I HATE them! They are SO SO SO tight - and in the summer they just add to my already skyrocketing temperature. Oh well - if it helps me not get killer blood clots, I guess I can take it.

That's about that.

1 comment:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

It's a relief to have a good doctor or midwife, isn't it.

I am so glad everything is going well!

My mom had really bad vericose veins. I hear it can get painful! I hope yours aren't. Anyway! I guess I will see you later alligator!