Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday's Tip (after a long explanation)

I recently received my June copy of the Ensign and was impressed by the article "Our Refined Heavenly Home" by Elder Douglas L Callister. He speaks of preparing ourselves to return to live in our Heavenly home by working to develop the attributes of people who would live in such a glorious place. This quote near the beginning of the article and helps set the stage.

"The nearer we get to God, the more easily our spirits are touched by refined and beautiful things."

He goes on to discuss in particular language, literature, music, and art, appearance, and attitude. While many things he pointed out struck a chord in me, I was most .... um.... I'm not certain the right word to use here .... maybe - impressed??? struck by??? inspired by???? knocked upside the head with a two by four????.... I don't know...

Anyway, regardless of the right word to use, one thing he said has been stuck in my mind since I read it. It was in the section about language, and this is what he said,
"Refinement in speech is reflected not only in our choice of words but also in the things we talk about. There are those who always speak of themselves; they are either insecure or proud. There are those who always speak of others; they are usually boring. There are those who speak of stirring ideas, compelling books, and inspiring doctrine; these are the few who make their mark in this world. The subjects discussed in heaven are not trifling or mundane; they are sublime beyond our most extended imagination. We will feel at home there if we are rehearsed on this earth in conversing about the refined and noble, clothing our expressions in well-measured words."

I read that and immediately thought of this blog. Ya - you see where this is going huh? Since this entire blog is about ME or OTHERS (my family), I must be boring with a huge dose of insecurity and pride mixed in.
Now don't fret - I defended myself right away by the fact that this blog was never meant to be an intelligent, inspiring, noble place to visit. It has always been a place for me to keep my journal (that which is not too personal to be in such a public forum), and a way to keep my friends and family informed and involved in the little happenings of my life and the life of my little family. That is why I started blogging and why I continue to blog. Along the way I have met new friends! BONUS.

So - Why has the quote continued with me? I don't believe it's because my blog is a "journal" blog - I am okay with that. It is what it is. I think the reason I am unsettled is because when it comes right down to it, I don't add the "stirring ideas, compelling books, and inspiring doctrine" to this blog because I don't really have any in my brain to share. My brain seems to be completely sucked dry in the daily living. I want to work on changing that. (Odds are that it won't last, but I'm going to give it a shot.) I am going to start small. IF I happen to post on Tuesdays. I am going to try to do a "Tuesday Tip" of some sort. (pretty broad huh? More likely to be able to think of something that way.) It may still fall into the category of "mundane," but the goal is to get my brain thinking just a tad bit more. I'm hoping also to turn up the brain juices at least once a week and post something THOUGHTFUL on Thursdays. (another broad category eh? I've got this down to a science)

SO - after all that - are you ready for the Tuesday Tip? I hate to even say it now, because it really is MUNDANE - but, if you have kids that stain things and you hate paying for expensive sprays or stain sticks to try to get the stain out - have I got the TIP for you.

I am not kidding. This stuff is fantastic. You can find it in the laundry aisle and it usually costs about a dollar. I love this stuff. It takes out baby messes. (the ones out of both ends) I have seen it take out grass stains, blood stains, chocolate, red punch, blue non-washable crayola marker (I know this last one from today's laundry - took that blue marker right out of my pink Disneyland shirt) and muchy much more. I just unwrap half the bar, using the unwrapped portion to hold it by. (actually , my current bar is 1/2 gone, so I just hold the soap now, in case you really wanted to know) When I'm ready to do the laundry, I get the stained item of clothing wet, rub the bar on the stain, then throw it in the wash. Easy as pie! I have even had this stuff take out stains that I missed and sent through the dryer. Not everything, but several... I love it! and I love the price. I would guess that for me, a bar lasts 6 - 9 months, maybe more.

So - there is your tip for the day. not stirring or inspiring really, but it might help with your stains and your budget. And you can always chose to be inspired by the quotes from Elder Callister's talk - even if you don't need the stain fighting tip. Ya'll have a great day now!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Thanks for the tip!, and good luck on having deep and meaningful thoughts. :-)

Harmony said...

I've been thinking about this post since I read it earlier today. My brain seems "completely sucked dry in the daily living" too, but it occurred to me that when I do have what I feel are deep and meaningful thoughts, it's often when I've taken the time to study my scriptures. Hmmm. Maybe I need to redouble my efforts, once again.