Sunday, June 28, 2009

Late night Dr.'s visit.

Thursday night provided yet another adventure. It was late - 9:30, and the kids were up past their bedtime. Everyone had been sent off to bed - but Bryan picked Aaron to come in and listen to his "personal prayers." (usually my job, but I was okay with having a break...)
Soon we were hearing playing/chasing sounds instead of praying/bedtime sounds. The sounds of chasing and laughter quickly escalated but before we intervened, it turned into screaming/crying sounds. Tim and I hurried in, to find a bleeding Bryan. He had apparently tripped and fallen, hitting his head on one of the metal bolts on the bunk bed.

We were both uncertain about if I should slap a bandage on and see how it goes, super glue it shut, or if he needed stitches. (If it was MY head, I would have just glued it shut, but when it is my child, I tend to play it a little more safe.)

After talking to the pediatric office that was on call for after hours, I took him in, just to be safe. (Aaron was feeling SUPER guilty - felt like it was his fault and all that, so I let him come along.)

The nurse that initially looked at the cut said, "oh yeah, this isn't too bad, the Dr. will just glue this one shut." After she cleaned the cut and looked a little more closely, she changed her mind. "Well, maybe not. The edges aren't really coming together. I think it might need a stitch or two to help it close."

So then the Dr comes in. "Definitely needs stitches," she said. "I think maybe 3 or 4."

After the numbing gel had some time to work, and the Dr. sees about a million other late night patients, she finally came back in. Bryan ended up getting 7 stitches, since the cut had some turns in it - as opposed to a straight line cut. (the hexagon shape of the bolt will do that you know...)

Anyway - at MID-NIGHT - we finally got home! I was exhausted! Now I need to schedule ANOTHER appt to remove the stitches. I can only hope they won't charge me another co-pay. I have paid $75 in co-pays already this month... plus another $150 in other medical charges that aren't covered since we haven't hit out yearly deductible yet. (Not lots of sickness, just regular run of the mill stuff... Caleb had his 18 month well - child checkup, I took Katrina in to have them diagnose some strange growth things on her neck, then had to take her back 2 days later for her "kindergarten' check-up" (they just couldn't do them together - don't ask me why...probably so they could get another co-pay out of me))




CRAZY BOY!!!

2 comments:

Holly said...

You weren't kidding when you said it had been crazy! Sheesh!! :)

Karlene said...

Stitches are a badge of honor. Too bad you have to hurt first.