Thursday, March 9, 2023

I survived Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week! and I feel great!

 I know that title makes me seem ungrateful - I'm not!  I promise.  I love that parents put in so much time and effort to showing their appreciation to the teachers and staff at my school.  It feels great to feel appreciated.  I totally get that in our culture - we very often show appreciation through FOOD - junk food.  I was able to enjoy some food each day - in the lunches they served, and I was able to walk away from the unhealthy options.  It feels really great.

Today for Breakfast I ate a bowl of granola w/strawberries and a couple chocolate muffins that Tim made.  I probably should have passed on those (and having them again as an afternoon AND evening snack - but they are SO delicious.  No, they are not my best choice, but as far as chocolate muffins go - they are pretty good.  Whole wheat flour, coconut oil, brown sugar, yogurt, dark chocolate chips, bananas.  (That's why Tim made them, He doubled the recipe and used up 6 overripe bananas.)  They are SO good!  Yes, I Have been avoiding refined sugars and I am trying to reduce how much I indulge in delicious chocolatey goodness - but since Tim had already made them...  and they are a slightly healthier version - I chose to FULLY ENJOY them!  (There we 24 of them this morning...  we are down to 12!)

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/greek-yogurt-chocolate-banana-muffins-movie/

For lunch I had a whole grain bagel at school and another chocolate muffin when I got home - I know, I know...  it is what it is

For dinner I made "creamy one pot pasta with broccolini."  I didn't actually have broccolini, but I had broccoli and it worked great.  I chose to put the onions and garlic into the pot of water, but I roasted the other veggies in the oven, then tossed them in at the end, since I like my veggies on the crispier side.  I thought it tasted good.  The other change was that I had some "cashew cream" in the fridge that I had used early in the week, and I used that instead of cashew butter.  (I wanted to use it up before it went bad - that is one downside to cook whole foods - they aren't chock full of preservatives, so they don't last as long in the fridge.  I have to be mindful of the leftovers and eat them more quickly.)  

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-pasta-noodles/one-pot-creamy-pasta-with-broccolini/