Friday, March 3, 2023

A "leftover" day

 Food log - all leftovers

breakfast - chia pudding thing

lunch - another pizza on pita bread

dinner - stuffed shells.  (note - these tasted better to me today than they did the first night when they were fresh.  Go figure?)

I got up on time this morning (6:30) got in some scripture study before work.  Here are some thoughts from  my study of the parallel stories of Christ calming the stormy sea.  A commentator that I was learning from talked about the different lessons we might pick up on, depending on who was writing. 

Matthew 8 -  Matthew leads into the story by explaining they had just come down from the mount (sermon on the mount) and the "radical" teachings that Jesus taught.  The messages he shared were quite radical for his time and stirred up a lot of questions and ill feelings from the sadducces and pharisees.  In effect, Christ's teachings "stirred up a storm" of trouble with many of the Jews.  Then he performs some healings (again, inviting questioning comments as he interacts with lepers, Roman centurions, and the like... ) Then he is at the side of the seashore and someone asks to follow after him, and again another man asks to follow go with with him but only after he buries his father.  In both cases, Jesus attempts to explain that there is a high cost of discipleship.

Then vs 23.  (unlike in Mark) Matthew states that Jesus went into the ship FIRST and the disciples chose to "FOLLOW him."  THEN the storm comes.  It is a hard truth, that sometimes the very act of choosing to follow the Savior actually invites certain storms into our lives.  Storms that perhaps would have been avoided (or certainly not felt full force) had we turned away.  However, it is only when we are actively following Him, that we can fully experience the power of HIS PEACE.   Another difference between the two tellings, is that in Mark, Jesus calms the storm first, then asks them why they lack faith, and in Matthew, he asks them why they are fearful and lack faith, THEN calms the storm.  Still thinking about the possible reasons or insights of that - 

I actually love that in both tellings, after the Savior calms the sea, the disciples marvel and wonder at the power and authority of Jesus.  I love the reminder that you can have totally made your choice to follow Jesus, you can have faith in Him and believe in Him, and still have moments of doubt... still have moments of fear... and still have moments of sheer WONDER and Amazement.  (Like, "I know you are the son of God and all...  but I still didn't really fully 'get it'.") And for all of these things, He does not love us any less.  He is endlessly patient and merciful.  

Jesus is the source of MY peace.  I am fully aware that life is full of storms.  I am fully aware that choosing to be a "Christian" in this day and age is akin to inviting storms into my life - and still, I CHOOSE JESUS CHRIST.  In Him, and in Him alone, is true peace to be found.  In the midst of the storm is NOT the time to question my choice and jump ship - that is just a sure-fire way to drown!  I choose to stay in the boat with the Master of the seas.  Even in moments when I do feel that fear creep in...  I will choose to continue to trust.  

(This is a song I did with our ward choir a month or so ago.  I love it.  For you musicians out there, just prepare yourself for a painful couple notes on the 3rd verse.  one of the sopranos got a little exuberant...)

here is the text:

When upon the rising seas the angry billows roll
My Savior is my refuge and the harbor of my soul
For when the tempest rages; when night grows dark and chill
He comes to bid my fearful heart,
“Peace, peace, be still.”

When before a rising tide of pain or grief I flee
The Lord will hear my anguished cry and haste to rescue me
For He can calm the tempest according to His will
Or come and bid my fearful heart,
“Peace, peace, be still.”

He who made the rising storm can bid its fury fail
Or bear me up and give me strength to stand before the gale
I’ll wait upon His kindness, and trust in Him until
He calms the wind or bids my heart,
“Peace, peace, be still.”