Monday, March 6, 2023

Chocolate is my friend... my comfort

 I know I am supposed to be getting past the fact that I use food to sooth my stress...  but today was not a day I could totally do that.  

It's funny, because I can feel that it was a hard day - but when I try to explain to someone WHY it was hard or WHAT made it hard...  it is a whole bunch of little nothings.  I think the stress of our upcoming trip is starting to feel heavy.  Not that I'm not looking forward to the trip, but because there is a LOT to do before we leave, and I am running out of time to get it all done!

There is a saying by Brené Brown, “Choose discomfort over resentment.“ - I am not good at this.  I always seem to choose COMFORT in the immediate situation, then end up feeling stressed out and resentful when I have to follow through on what I said I would do.  Maybe someday I'll get better at that, but I have a personality that is ALL or NOTHING.  If I am going to be a helpful and involved in things, I tend to think I have to do it all...  Need to learn to find some middle ground!

Today was rough.  kids were wild at school, It was one of my "long days," I had a bit of a headache when I work up and my neck was tight and hurting, Katrina's P-day has shifted and we don't get to talk to her until later in the afternoon and I miss our early morning visits.  It is also teacher appreciation, so I had lots of temptations (cookies and treats) calling. out to me.  I resisted, but it wore me down a little I think.  For the teacher "gift" today it was a small bag of that white cheddar popcorn.  No added sugars, minuscule amounts of whey/cheese powder, and I really like that stuff, so I decided it would be ok to have that.  I don't know if there was more to it that I thought, or if it was just a combination of a thousand tiny things added up to push me over the edge... but it was hard.  

All in all, I still made good choices overall, and for as hard of a day as it was - I did pretty awesome!  Let's hope that tomorrow is a better mental day for me!

Food log:

breakfast - oatmeal chia overnight  thing.  (I didn't like this as much as the plain chia seed one.  The the oats soaking overnight, I though tit tasted too "oatmeal chalky."

lunch - teachers were given Hawaiian haystacks.  I chose a plate of brown rice, (no gravy) and topped with a bunch of the available veggies.  

dinner - I tried a recipe a friend gave me.  The photo she sent didn't show the NAME - but it was an Indian style garam masala curry dish, served over brown rice and mixed veggies.  It called for chicken, but I used chickpeas instead.  It was OK.  I ate it fine, but I didn't love it.  I really could have gone for one of my heavy, meat, carb, and fat filled comfort foods!  but I didn't.  We'll see if I like the leftovers better tomorrow, when I'm not in such a cranky mood.  I also had a nice chocolate bar.  it is dark chocolate topped with almond, cranberries, and pistachios.  it does have 9g of added sugar (i've been aiming for NONE but for sure UNDER 8g.  I cut myself a break and ate this one anyway.