Tuesday, September 30, 2008

'cause I'm a WOMAN

More like a WANNABE woman.

I was driving afternoon carpool pickup yesterday, and listening to Dr. Laura while I drove. (I can't get that station in my house, so the only time I can listen is when I do carpool in the afternoons, but I have learned SO much from listening to her for just those 10 - 15 minutes a day for the past 3 years.)

Anyway, I won't go in to the specifics of the question that her male caller had regarding his wife, but the answer hit me hard. Dr. Laura said, "the problem is, that you are married to a FEMALE, instead of a WOMAN." She clarified a bit more, and said that you can look in a crowd of people and you can easily pick out the FEMALES as opposed to the WOMEN.

Females are the angry, scowling, right on the edge and easily annoyed at everything, chip on shoulder, "men are oppressive," "what's in it for me" - kind of people.

Real WOMEN, on the other hand, are happy and find joy in their lives. Real WOMEN delight in caring for their husbands, children, and homes. Sounds a little bit like the Sister Beck conference talk on "Women who Know" huh? I admit, I'm a slow learner and need to hear the same lessons over and over, and through various sources.

When I heard this caller yesterday, it totally pointed out to me that I have been acting like a FEMALE, not a WOMAN. I was annoyed with the house, and the cooking, and the running around, and the kids, and the ....... (you name it...)

I determined to once again to find the "woman" within. I caught a glimpse of her last night, and the fact that I'm still thinking along the same vein this morning is promising. I want to be a "real" woman. A "woman who knows." A woman who loves and is loved. I don't want to settle for just being a female. I was sent to this earth to be SO much more than that.

So - all you females out there -
RISE UP and be WOMEN!!!!
(and feel free to remind me that I want to be a REAL woman, the next time you notice too much female-itis creeping into my blog...)

5 comments:

Harmony said...

Good food for thought--thanks!

Kristi said...

I am woman...hear me roar! heh heh Boy, I needed this post, that is for sure.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I really liked this. I really like Dr. Laura. I think this is an interesting take. I have been more female lately and I too will dig deep for the woman within!

ali cross said...

I used to be a female, for sure. Now, I think I finally am a WOMAN. Sometimes less than other times, but mostly ...

I love Dr. Laura and have heard her talk about this before (same as she has her definitions of what real MEN are too.)

YAY for you Jeri! You can do it! You ARE a real WOMAN!!!

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

I think I am somewhere in between. I am typically happy and want to be a good wife, but I need to work on "loving" my role as housekeeper...but, I think my hubby would think I was a better wife if I embraced that role a little more.lol!