Sunday, September 28, 2008

sick day/weekend report

Nothing exciting here - just an "I'm sick post." (laced with lots and lots of LDS lingo) so feel free to move on...

I stayed home from church today, keeping Bryan and Caleb with me. Yesterday I woke up with a horrible, awful, terrible, sore throat. (also stuffy nose and all over general body aches... but the sore throat was the worst) I knew there was no way I could do the singing in Primary, so I got a sub. I don't do that very often. I love my calling, and the prideful side of me is pretty possessive it, thinking that NO ONE else could do possibly my job as well as I do! (is that asking for a lightening bolt or WHAT???) Just to be clear here, I KNOW there are lots and lots of people in my ward with more sheer musical talent, but I think I am a pretty good mix of basic musical ability, fun (albeit quirky) disposition, and overall ability to keep the kids attention (the majority of the time))
ANYWAY - my pride notwithstanding, I got a sub and stayed home. I was really hoping for a 2 hour nap, but it was not meant to be. I finally got Caleb to sleep about 10 minutes before the rest of the family got home. Oh well, that's life.

Yesterday Tim decided it was "paint the playground" day. Since we bought a wooden set, the wood is supposed to be sealed once a year, preferably in the fall, to protect it from the elements. Tell me again - why did we buy a WOODEN SET??? Tim bought a couple paints that are supposed to protect for 3 - 5 years. We'll have to see how they live up to their claims. We painted for about 1 1/2 hours, then I got Aaron and Katrina and myself ready to go over to the church to see Aaron's two friends, TJ and Rebecca, be baptized. then we came home, changed back into painting attire and painted for several more hours. I WAS MISERABLE! (I probably made Tim miserable too, for that matter, what with all my wheezing, whining, and "poor sick me sighing.") Then at 4:30 I came in, showered and got dressed up again to go over to the general Relief Society broadcast. It was nice. I really enjoyed Sister Becks talk and for a brief moment, felt up to the challenge of "doing more." - then my stuffy head and overall feeling of exhaustion took over and I'm afraid I didn't get a whole lot out of the next two talks. (although I did get the message loud and clear that I need to be attending the temple on a more regular basis.)

I enjoyed President Uchtdorf's talk. He is just a fun person to listen to. I rode over with my friend Holly, and on the way home she summed it up perfectly when she said after his talks she always feels better about herself. I agree. I think he often manages to hit perfectly that balance between encouraging me to do a little better and try a little harder, while making me feel that I am loved and accepted just as I am. Exactly WHAT he said (aside from that his wife is a great cook and all he can make is eggs and toast) is still rather a blur in my stuffy fuzzy head, but I took some notes, and hopefully they will make sense when I pull them back out to review.

I am totally excited for General Conference coming up this weekend. It is always such a wonderful spiritual boost for me. (was even more so when I could actually sit and listen and HEAR what they were saying - it's a bit trickier with children, but still WONDERFUL!!!

I think that's about it. I am tired. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep tonight, but Caleb has a cold, and I think he is finally going to cut some teeth - so he's not sleeping well (what's new eh?) and a little extra crabby. I think I just heard Tim come home (from a home teaching appt) I know he's supposed to be going out soon to collect fast offerings, then has another home teaching appt at 8:00. I'm thinking if I want to see my husband today, I'd better go up and visit with him now.

thanks for listening. blah blah blah....

6 comments:

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

It's a bummer that you are not feeling well... I hope it passes soon.
I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk. One of my favorite quotes was, "As a spirit daughter of our Heavenly Father, happiness is your heritage." We are supposed to be HAPPY! It's our birthright! I need to work on that!

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

I used to do singing time. My mom does it now. It was a fun calling! Occasionally I still get to sub.

Harmony said...

If you get a chance when you're feeling better, get on lds.org and watch Elder Uchtdorf's talk again. It was awesome--just the talk I was needing yesterday. I'll be re-reading it for months to come I think.

Sorensen Family said...

I totally missed Elder Uchtdorf's talk but I have heard that it was totally amazing so I guess now I should listen to it!
Im sorry you were sick! I would have never known after seeing you so chipper today!
Ill call you tomorrow about the field trip...it looks like we have it all wrong according to this last email I got!

ali cross said...

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Jeri! But man, you put me to shame!

When I'm sick I won't do any of that stuff you did! Wow.

Like, for instance I wasn't feeling well Saturday so I didn't get out my pj's all day and DID NOT go to the broadcast. Now I regret it. I almost always regret it when I do stuff like that. When will I learn?

Guess I'd better go try to find a copy of the broadcast!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I have thought about getting one of those wooden sets. THey look more fun!