Monday, September 22, 2008

When did I become one of the OLD people???

There is a song from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" that is pertinent for me today. It is the scene where the parents are watching their daughter getting married and they are marveling at how quickly the time has flown by. Part of the song says,

"I don't remember growing older, when did they..." (everyone together now... Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset, swiftly fly the years.... are you humming along yet)

ok, enough singing - back to the post - Today as I was driving home from completing my carpool duties, I saw a couple of the neighborhood young women hanging out in front of my neighbor's house (the neighbor has a couple teenage boys...) I had to pull over and harass the girls a bit. Almost immediately, one of the girls says, "don't mind the way I look, I don't usually dress like this. It was dress like the 80's day at school today." Um, HELLO!!!! I was in high school during the 80's. (no wonder I didn't even notice anything amiss in her appearance, I thought she looked really cute!) Does that date me OR WHAT.!!??!! I remember when I was in high school and we had "dress like the 50's days" - and we thought it was so fun to dress up like the OLD people did back in the OLD days when THEY went to school. I don't think I ever figured I'd be on the OLD side of that picture... Where did the time go?

My dad used to sing a song... I don't know who sang it, or even the name of the song (although I think the name of the song is the same as the only line of the song I know...) and I don't care enough to take the time to look it up, but it may have to become my new theme song. It says, "I'm much too young to feel this dang old." (a slight change of wording, since I'm a bit of prude when it come to swearing...)

Well - that's it for tonight. this OLD woman has to get some sleep and it's past my bedtime!

7 comments:

Stefany said...

Did you get your prize?

Karlene said...

I feel your pain. At the B5 brunch on Sat, I suddenly realized I was the oldest one there--by quite a bit. Depressing!

Charlotte said...

Isn't it the truth?

ali cross said...

I was laughing out loud reading your post Jeri!

I NEVER thought the 80's would be OLD, lol. We were too dang cool to ever be 'weird', ya know? Now the young un's like to dress up in our 80's left overs and think it's a riot.

Umm, whatever. Like, totally gag me with a spoon.

Don't worry about it. We can be OLD together!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

fabulous post! I loved it. I have felt this way too. I can't believe I'm almost 40! How did I get here so fast?

I hate it and often wish for my youth back but like the saying goes....

Youth is wasted on the young.

Shellie said...

Eighties is coming back, and I think I don't want to repeat it really. I just about barfed at the clothing in target the other day.

Sandra said...

Yep, Much too old by Chris LeDue. And I know that because I am one of the old people- I graduated highschool in '81- the beginning of the eighties! Yikes.

And Karlene isn't that much older than me and if you makes you feel any better, I was the second oldest there.