Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Family is all there is...

I've been MIA in blog world this month, but it's not because good things haven't been happening - I've just been to busy/lazy/tired to get them posted. It's time for some make up posts.

On Sept 12, My eldest brother Mike and his wife Rachael were sealed in the Mt Timpanogos Temple. It was a GREAT DAY!!! I was so happy for them both. They have been working toward this day for a while, and it was so great to be able to be there with them. Mike looked so incredibly happy. You could just see the "happy vibes" shooting out from his countenance. It was wonderful.

In the sealing room, I was sitting next to my aunt Karen. Now, most of you don't know my aunt Karen so her name means nothing to you, but let me tell you this -- everyone NEEDS someone like my aunt Karen in their life. She is just such an amazing person. I have always had so much love and respect for her. She is a wonderful example to me in so many ways.
While we were waiting for Mike and Rach to come into the room, I was talking quietly to Karen. I told her how Rachael's grandparents weren't sure they were going to be able to make it, since they live in Salt Lake, but they don't drive anymore. I had told Rachael, "call aunt Karen. I'm sure she's coming. She has never missed an important family event. She's been at every wedding, sealing, mission farewell, etc... She'll be there." Karen just smiled and said "FAMILY IS ALL THERE IS. it's all that matters."

What a simple yet true statement. Family is all there is. Not all families all look the same, and not everyone has the opportunity in this life for the "traditional family" (ie mom dad and little kiddos) but the truth remains that when all is said and done, the only things we can take with us when this life is over are:
1) the knowledge we have gained and
2) the relationships we've built. (family and friends)

I am thankful for my sweet family. I am married to a very good man, and we have 4 terrific children. I am trying to ENJOY them more and more on a daily basis. I have parents who continue to teach and guide, and I have 5 brothers and 1 sister, each of whom teaches me and blesses my life in so many ways. Add into the mix in-laws, nieces and nephews, and a vast array of aunts, uncles, cousins etc... and there is no question that I am very RICHLY blessed when it come to family. I am also thankful for my good friends.

Life is good. I am blessed.

ps - I have a photo of mike and rachael that was taken a couple years back, but I can't find it right now. I'll look again later on the computer downstairs and if I find it - i'll get it posted.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh-this is GREAT GREAT news! I highly doubt that either Mike or Rachel will remember me, but I've met them a few times, so give them my congratulations, will you?

Kristi said...

I have been thinking a lot about my family situation, and there were definately some wierd times growing up, but all in all, I was extremely blessed to have been born into the family I was. I was born into a family that had the gospel. I am truly blessed.

Jennica said...

I agree families are amazing and having a great one makes all of the difference. I love my family AND the one I married into. You guys are all such an example to me. Love you!