Thursday, October 2, 2008

sharks & spiders & sleep - OH MY!

EVERYONE stand and give three cheers for me! I FINALLY mopped my kitchen floor today!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

Thank you thank you - It was SO SO bad. (you can probably tell my overwhelming feeling of gladness that it is finally done, by all the caps and exclamation marks eh?) It has needed to be done for a long time, and everyday I would tell myself that I was going to get it done, but I never could quite bring myself to do it. (the actual mopping isn't the worst part, but you have to get the kitchen clean first, since mopping is the LAST thing you do - of course!)
Today I was determined to get it done, but was still dragging my feet (emotionally and physically), so I employed a trick I use on my kids - try to somehow make it new and different and hopefully FUN. I called my friend Holly and asked if I could try out her new SHARK steam mop. She loves it, and I am desperately in need of a new mop and have been considering buying one for myself, but didn't want to fork out the $$$, just to find out I didn't love it. ANYWAY, she let me borrow it, and just knowing it was sitting there waiting for me to give it a test drive, gave me what I needed to finish the job. I cleaned the kitchen, swept the floor (3 times, to be exact, since every time I thought I was done, "magically" some crackers, or cereal got re-distributed...) then brought out the SHARK. I have to be honest. I didn't love it. I think my floors are just a bit too much (as in "disgustingly gross") for it to handle. It took longer to finish the job than my old mop and bucket of water - but it DID do a really great job cleaning the little indented lines in the linoleum floor,and I loved that it didn't leave the floor all wet - Caleb was crawling around while I did it and he didn't get wet at all. I also I loved that it would really be a water saver. Less than a cup of water as opposed to a big ole bucket of mop water, and no harsh chemicals or cleaners. - just the water. Trina absolutely LOVED it. She mopped for quite a while with it. (that was actually another concern. The unit is really lightweight, which is a plus, but I'm not sure it is durable enough to stand up to my "helping" kids. ANY WHICH WAY - my floor is CLEAN! and I am thrilled! (if only it would stay that way for more than a few hours. but oh well. that's life.

NEXT ITEM...

You all know I love nature. Well, not SPIDERS so much. Last night we saw the HUGEST (non-tarantula) spider I have ever seen. Every fall we usually see at least one tarantula in search of a nice warm place to hang out for the winter. When Tim first saw this little giant trying to come into our kitchen, through the open sliding door, that's what we figured it was - until we looked again. This sucker is a WOLF SPIDER. He's HUGE! I took out a ruler and tried to measure him, without getting my hand too too close, of course. He was easily four inches! ICKKKK!!!!! I know the photo isn't very good, but it's enough that you can get an idea of this guy. Poor Katrina couldn't fall asleep last night. "every time I close my eyes, I can see spiders, trying to come into my room!" poor girl. it was gone this morning, and I can only hope it went somewhere other than INSDIE my house, because I will totally FREAK out if I accidentally step on this guy in the middle of the night in my bare feet, or if I happen around corner and there he is. EEEWWWWW.

and the last thing -

SLEEP
. Remember that song on Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the other?"
Well - sleep is the odd man out. I have the shark (on loan), the spiders, but unfortunately I am not getting enough sleep! OH MY!

and that is all there is to say about that.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I was expecting to see a picture of your spider and it still freaked me out!! YUCK!!! I am hoping and praying I don't find a monster like that trying to come in my house, I just might pass out!

I'm sorry you weren't crazy about the Shark, it's a good thing you borrowed it before you bought one!!

Sorensen Family said...

Yikes! We get our fair share of spiders, too. Its an everyday occurance here!
Ive been wondering about the Shark mop. Glad you blogged about it to share your feelings! I need to mop my floors today and Im dreading it! Come do mine for me?

Karlene said...

I need to mop my floors too, but I was thinking that if I let it build up another year or two, I could just pretend I'd had new dark brown floors put in...

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

i actually felt my scalp crawl when I saw this picture. HORRIFYING! if you ask me.

I hate spiders. Wolf spiders are one of the worst! Aren't they poisonous?

Jeri said...

wolf spiders are technically venomous - but not generally considered dangerous to humans.

Kristi said...

Holy Moly! That spider is so freaky...it keeps giving me the shivers. I do NOT like spiders, and big, hairy ones just give me the heebie jeebies. Man...I sure wish I didn't look at this right before I went to bed....shiver...shiver!!