Tuesday, July 24, 2007

PONDERING.....

So - here's what I'm currently pondering. I've been thinking a lot about the question of our family and how many children we should have. I'm pretty certain I'm ready for this to be our last. It's been a really difficult time for me - physically, mentally, emotionally - and as a result it's been a pretty rough time for Tim and the kids.

So the other day I was praying specifically about this question and the scripture came into my mind that reads " And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." (Mosiah 4:27) I thought - great. I am running at (or past) the limit of my strength, so I take as my answer that I am done.

The very next second THIS scripture popped into my head. "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)

So here is my dilemma - I feel like I am already "running" as fast as I can - and that I really can't take on any more. Yet when I think of the 2nd scripture, I start to think - maybe I just don't have enough faith or trust in the Lord. If I were more humble and willing to work at it, I could become strong in these areas where I am currently weak, and then I would have more strength to "run" faster and do more. Do you see what I mean? So do I say "I'm running as fast as I can and I am not responsible to take on any more." or do I say "okay, I'll agree to take on more, pray and be humble, and trust that the Lord will make me stronger and more capable of handling everything."????????

I don't know. If any of you (all 4 of you who read my blog) have any opinion or insights, feel free to share them.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hey there,

Eric and I read the last General Conference talk by Elder Richard G. Scott last night for Family Home Evening. He talked on prayer, with some pretty nitty-gritty details on how to pray and how the Lord answers, and what do you when you feel like He's not answering, or when you can't quite figure our what He's telling you.

So, first I would send you to that talk.

After that, I guess I would say, search your feelings, talk to your husband (obviously) and make a decision, with the absolute assurance that if the decision you make will mess up the eternal plan that Heavenly Father has for you, or your family, that He will not let you move forward with it without giving you an unmistakable indication that you're headed down the wrong track.

One of my favorite quotes is from President Howard W. Hunter. He said, "If our lives and our faith are centered upon Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever go permanently wrong."

I run that quote through my mind at times, especially when I feel like I might be making a decision that could de-rail my eternity.

Note that the promise is that if our lives are CENTERED on Jesus Christ and his restored gospel. He doesn't say that our lives need to consist ENTIRELY of Jesus Christ and his restored gospel.

You are the only one who can say where your life is centered for sure. But, I'm willing to bet at least $5 that the Jeri I know is centered just fine.

Charlotte said...

(Don't ask me why I've suddenly become the comment queen on your blog. I'm often much more of a "lurker" than this.)

:)

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

YOu now, I actually got tears in my eyes when I read this. It spoke so true for me. It is EXACTLY how I have been feeling. You will have to read the blog I wrote for today. The one with pictures.

I don't know how you tell the difference except to pray about each individual choice and go with your gut.

I guess that is what I will do. Life certainly does not seem to be going in ANY of the directions I anticipated!

Harmony said...

I faced this same situation eight months ago when our fourth son was born. Even though we may very well be done having children, my feelings at the time were that I shouldn't yet do anything permanent to prevent having more children. When my husband asked our non-LDS OB/GYN about what it entailed, even he said, "Don't do it unless you are sure. It's an outpatient procedure that can easily be done later when you are sure." I might add that making decisions of such consequence while "under the influence" of pregnancy hormones and fatigue might not be the best timing. :-) My two cents worth...