Tuesday, February 28, 2023

A WHIRLWIND of a day!

 I am sitting here, just exhausted and wanting to go to bed.  I have been doing some deep breathing, trying to calm down the stress/anxiety/cortisol racing through my body.  A win is that when I am stressed like this and the world is spinning around me, I always want to sooth myself with Chocolate.  Instead of doing that - I am choosing to sooth with my favorite herbal tea.  (Really hoping it does the trick long enough for me to write out this post and then get to bed.

Today started, as you know, with a lack of sleep due to a late night session helping Bryan prepare his essay and resume to turn in as part of his application for GHA.  I thought my alarm was off, but apparently not.  It went off at 6:30 and woudlnt' you know... today was one of those days when I couldn't fall back asleep.  I guess that was good because I was able to read my scriptures and do a few things here at home before heading off to work.  

After work I came home and starting making dinner.  As soon as the boys got out of school I drove over to meet them at the medical clinic where we get their physical's done.  (They will both be working for the BSA organization this year.  BSA provides the staff for the camp down in Moab where Aaron used to work.  It used to be called "Entrada," but is now named "The Moab Adventure Base."  This camp is where BYU holds it's summer Adventure for Youth camps.  Bryan and Caleb will both be workign there this summer, so they needed to submit their BSA medical/health forms.  These were supposed to have been turned in a few weeks ago, but we hadn't gotten around to getting them done.  We HAD to get it done before Bryan left for the senior trip.  We got those done, then got home and I finished making dinner.  

After dinner, I worked with Bryan on the final editing of his papers for GHA.  We got those done and submitted - then he raced off (15 minutes late) to the Young Men's activity.  While the boys were at YM, I ran to Sam's club to buy snacks & drinks.  (Each student going on the trip was supposed to bring some type of snacks and drinks to share with everyone.). I got home, ready to have an hour or so when I could relax, record thoughts of the day, clean up dinner, etc...  Apparently, this was just not meant to be.

Bryan was supposed to already be packed for the senior trip by this time, but being my procrastinating child... he wasn't...  but he wasn't worried about it because he'd have almost an hour to pack between YM and 10 pm - the time he needed to be at the school so everyone could load the bus and be ready to pull out at 10:30.  THEN - 1/2 way though the YM activity, Bryan got a text saying that the weather people are predicting a snow storm coming in tonight and the bus driver wanted to leave as early as possible, to hopefully get out in front of it.  They wanted everyone to be at the school by 9 pm instead.  Bryan ran into the house about 8:35 and started running around like crazy trying to find what he needed and get his stuff packed.  I had forgotten to pick up a VISA gift card for him (they are responsible for paying for their own lunch each day, and the parks don't take cash... so each student is supposed to bring a card of some type to pay for their food.). I stopped at TWO different convenience stores between our house and the school.  The first sells those cards, but they were all sold out of the VISA/MC ones.  The second said they sold them, but the person who was authorized to active them wasn't working at the time, so they couldn't sell me one!  I ended up dropping Bryan off at the school at 9:15, with MY credit card, just in case the bus left before I could make it back.  Then I raced over to the nearest grocery store and bought a Visa card.  I managed to make it back to the school by 9:30, and trade cards with Bryan.  I assume the bus left just a few minutes after that, because when I check the location app we use to track each other (Life 360) I could see that he was nearing Mona, which is about 30 - 35 minutes south of here.   (I know I could have just sent him with my card, and it probably would have been just fine, but if it gets lost, it's a lot bigger hassle.  If he loses this gift card one, yes, he loses a chunk of money...  but we don't have to report and replace a lost card...  then change all of the accounts that are paid automatically with card, etc...

I am happy to know that the GHA application is DONE.  Summer job paperwork for BOTH boys is COMPLETE.  For better or for worse, Bryan is officially on his way to enjoy this Jr/Sr trip... and I'm sure he'll have a great time.  Life should be a little slower and calmer for few days.  AND - I did NOT give in to the urge to self-soothe with chocolate, bread, or any other highly addictive food.  My Bengal Spice tea is doing the job and I'm feeling better. 

Food Log:

Breakfast - Granola with almond milk and strawberries

Lunch - leftover red pepper & tomato soup with 1 piece of toast (sprouted wheat bread) and a handful of "whole grain & ancient seed pita crackers."

Dinner - Stuffed shells, side salad, and whole wheat breadsticks.  This dinner didn't turn out super great.  The shells were stuffed with a "tofu ricotta cheese mix (with spinach)". They weren't bad, but I didn't LOVE them either.  It might have been the pasta sauce I used...  it was a new brand - so maybe that made a difference too.  The breadsticks turned out HORRIBLY.  (I.just used my regular recipe but used 100% whole wheat flour instead of white.  It did NOT work well and did not taste good!  Then again, I was being pulled in multiple directions, do maybe I killed the yeast, or maybe I should have taken the time to let them rise...  or whatever. I know I forgot to add the salt, so then I tried to knead it in, which didn't work super well...  I will try again - but this batch - A DISASTER!)