Monday, September 13, 2010

an inspiring conference: part 1

Yesterday our stake took part in a regional (or maybe it was an "area") conference. I heard many things that I NEEDED to hear. My notes from the conference are downstairs, and quite frankly, I am too tired to trek down to get them, so I am just going to go from memory.

I really enjoy listening to Sister Julie B Beck speak. She has given some super - powerhouse talks in recent years, that have truly spoken to my soul. The talk she gave on Sunday was another to add to my heart's collection.

She began by telling us that while she has been studying and praying in preparation for her talk, she hadn't been able to "write" one; so she was going to just share the thoughts and feelings she has been going over in her mind.
First off, she felt inspired to say , "you are doing better than you think you are." (boy, I sat up and listened to this one. I needed to hear that, since I often feel that I am doing so "not great.") Then she took a deep breathe and said, "even as I say that you are doing better than you think you are... we CAN do and be better."
This really resonated with me. I have a tendency to beat myself up about a whole lot of stuff, when in reality, the Savior loves me and has atoned for me, and HE accepts me JUST AS I AM. However, He is not well pleased when I spent time wallowing in self-doubt instead of humbly acknowledging shortcomings and working to move forward.

She then went on to mention people who are allowing the distractions of life to get in the way of what is really important. She mentioned specifically young mothers... and while I am not a "young mother," (I'm pushing 40, for crying out loud!) I am the mother of YOUNG children, and I am CERTAIN she was speaking to me, since it cut right to my heart...) She specifically mentioned time spent on the computer - wasting your time and taking time away from those young children and families.

I decided that this was something I needed to change in my life. Here at my house, the computer is on ALL day long. I check it in the morning, then I piddle around the house a little, always coming back at regular and frequent intervals to see if any emails have come through, or any facebook chatter I just HAVE to get in on, or any comments on my own facebook status, or play a few (hundred) games of bejeweled blitz, or...or...or (you get the idea)

SO - I made a new goal for myself. I can be on the computer for (roughly) 30 minutes in the morning and roughly) 30 minutes again in the evening after the kids are in bed. The time in between... the computer goes OFF and stays OFF. I went through some withdrawal pains today, but I did pretty well. One slight "fall off the wagon" moment when I had to get on the computer to print out some stuff for Aaron's homework, and while I was ON, I could hardly NOT check my email... right??? but over all I cut my computer time WAY WAY down today... and I believe it was a step in the right direction.

more conference notes to follow... but I am EXHAUSTED and need to go to bed!

1 comment:

Harmony said...

I think I got the same messages you got! I always look forward to conferences like that to get my spiritual batteries and motivation recharged. And Pres. Packer's story about Elder Bednar cracked me up!