Wednesday, September 15, 2010

an inspiring conference: part 3

Before I jot down my impressions from Elder Holland's talk, here is one more quote from Sister Beck's talk - related to the computer thing from part one. I didn't actually write this one down, but another of my friends did, and since Harmony - you were wishing you could have taken notes, I thought I'd pass this along just in case it would have been a writer-downer for you. "The computer is just a tool, no more important than the dishwasher or washing machine." (if only I were so addicted to the dishwasher and washing machine. my life would be much "cleaner.")


OK - now on to Elder Holland's talk.


He shared some pioneer stories, one about a family (the smith's maybe) who were in that first group who went through the hole in the rock... and then another family called to leave their comfortable home in Nephi to settle the "muddy." (don't remember their names, it obviously wasn't important enough for me to write the name down...)

Anyway - after sharing these stories, he said, "There are still waste places to settled." I don't remember the exact next words, but in essence, the barren waste places of our hearts. We must be committed to the Lord and when he calls - we answer int he affirmative. he said we must:

1st
- Nurture your own physical and spiritual strength, THEN

2) build your family and 3) serve the church.

He said that "the world is getting more and more wicked and will try the very best of us." when those troubled and trying times come, we will have to reach deep down to find the faith and strength to endure. When those times come we need to know that we have something "deep down" that we can draw upon.

"it is more important to be simple and deep, than complex and superficial."

Ok - those are my basic notes, now my impressions:

I talk BIG. I "do," not so big...

I think how awesome it would be to be "called" to pack up and move to Jackson county... but I find it hard to answer the "call" to read my scriptures daily.

I imagine in my minds eye how quickly I would obey if the time ever came that the leaders of the church issue the call to leave the cities and establish "tent cities"in the hills. yet I can't seem to find the will to attend the temple (15 minutes away) on a regular basis.

I profess to be SO glad to have a living prophet and apostles to guide me in my life, yet when is last time I read their words from the last conference? (I'm guessing May, right after the Ensign came out.)

You get the idea... My heart will simply become more and more of a wasteland, unless I heed the call of the prophet and apostles. It is not enough to "act" the part. I need to BE the part. I need to exercise the faith and the discipline to truly be a disciple of Christ. I need to start with ME. and I need to start NOW!

3 comments:

Harmony said...

Yes, but don't forget--"You are doing better than you think you are!"

Harmony said...

Oh, and thanks for the tool quote. That was a good one.

Jeri said...

true true - i AM doing better than I think I am am... but more importantly... I am doing BETTER today than I was doing before the conference. I should have some good momentum going into this year's general conference.