Saturday, November 28, 2009

dead mouse = hunger strike

Aaron went on a self imposed 24 hour hunger strike today. I had success with the mouse trap and the world is now short one mouse. Aaron was in the kitchen when Tim discovered the tripped trap, and he was VERY sad about the whole thing, crying and carrying on about how cute the mouse was and this was just so horrible and blah blah blah... then he went on a hunger strike, saying it just wasn't fair for him to be able to enjoy eating food when the mouse had to be dead.

I sympathized for a few minutes - yes, the mouse was cute, in a mouse sort of way - but NOT IN MY HOUSE, eating my food, and contaminating my food storage! I tried to explain that to Aaron, but his response was simply that he'd rather let the mouse eat ALL the food storage than kill it.

I finally told him that if he wants to spend HIS money to buy the humane traps, then I would use them instead and I would just make sure I drove the mouse far enough away that I could be certain it wouldn't ever come back. So far, no new evidence of more mice, but experience tells me that where there is one mouse, there are usually more, so I'm going to stay vigilant for a bit longer to make sure there's no more lurking around. I'll just make sure Aaron is at school before I check the traps...

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

That Aaron is definitely a character.

musicmom said...

Aaron. Aaron, what a hoot!

Shellie said...

Cute boy! Those feelings will get him far, but I'm with you on this one.

Lisa T. said...

That kid is hilarious! And has a very kind heart. It's a good thing he doesn't live at our house. He would have died of starvation in October when we caught 20 in 2 weeks!