Tuesday, May 12, 2009

vacation - day 2

Aaron spent Saturday morning taking pictures of the "San Diego" flowers, chasing the chickens and gathering eggs, jumping on the trampoline, learning all about gopher traps (even got to see a gopher that got caught...) hiking up the hill, and running around being generally crazy, with his cousins. Katrina and Bryan were much calmer, and were very content to hang around with the younger cousins in the yard, jumping on the tramp and swinging. They loved picking grapefruit and lemons from Richard's trees. they (and I) though that was totally cool~! SO fresh!


The main attraction of the day was going to La Jolla beach. It was a slightly cool day, (mostly a cool breeze that was the problem) which damped the experience a bit for me (if you haven't noticed yet, I don't do COLD very well.)
Richard ran into his boss from work while we were there. They had come to the beach and for the afternoon and had brought their kayak. They offered it to us to take out. This was a great opportunity for us that we didn't want to pass up.
Up until this time, I had kept my clothes on over my suit and stayed warm and dry. I was afraid that Tim would get me out there into the ocean and then tip the kayak - as a joke - to get me all wet. After he had promised that he wouldn't tip it, I agreed and off we went. I sat in the front, and Tim proceeded to push it out into the water. Having never done this before - we had no idea what to expect, but EVERY wave came right up over the front of the kayak and in very short order, I WAS COMPLETELY DRENCHED! Tim was laughing SO hard. It was a little better once Tim actually got into the boat, so it wasn't so front heavy, but I still got a good dousing with every wave until we finally paddled out beyond the breaking waves. After a short time we rode the waves back into shore. I was glad I did it, but I was really wishing I had taken off my shorts and shirt so that I had warm DRY clothes to put on after wards - oh well.
After we got back to shore, Tim took Aaron out, then Richard took Tina and Lydia for a turn. It really was fun!
Here are more pictures (get used to it... we took TONS of pictures).
(I would do a slide show, but since I'll be printing out my blog into book form, I like to put in individual pictures because those print out. I will probably do a slide show of Disneyland, in addition to posting individual pictures, since we have far too many pictures to post them all...)
Tim swinging Bryan

Tim, Charlotte, and Bryan

Caleb
Tim and Caleb (Bryan and Aaron in the background)
Katrina, Charlotte and Stephanie
Aaron - wanted to be buried to keep warm...
Caleb "driving his sand car"
Richard, Stephanie, Charlotte, and KatrinaBryan and Caleb
(L to R) Tim, Aaron, Jonathon, Tina, Lydia, and Richard

Tim and Aaron in the Kayak
Richard and Tina's turn
It was a great day!!!

3 comments:

Harmony said...

Looks like so much fun and you haven't even gotten to Disneyland yet!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I don't know what is wrong with my blogger but I could only see 2 of your pics! I've been having problems with that lately.

Anyway, good to see you back! Glad it was so fun.

Sandra said...

I was at that very beach 3 weeks ago!