Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter

Here are a few (late) pictures from Easter. I should probably explain - we don't do the whole "Easter bunny" thing or big baskets. We usually just buy a few bags of candy, some plastic eggs and hunt away... this year I really scaled back. I bought two packs of pre-filled eggs (32 total) plus I had some left over from the eggs I prepared for Primary, so there were probably 50 eggs total, each with 1 - 3 little treats inside. It was the least amount of candy I have ever done for Easter and I worried a little that the kids might feel gypped. I told the kids we celebrate Easter to celebrate the life and Atonement of Jesus Christ - Not to get presents and candy. The treats are just for fun. Aaron was asked to say the closing prayer in primary, and I was so pleased when (of his own accord) he said, "and please help us to remember that Easter is about Jesus, His death and resurrection, and not about getting candy."
After church, they all changed out of their church clothes and ate lunch, then Tim and I hid the eggs in the back yard for them to find. The "super winner" was the person who found the empty golden egg -- the one to remind us that on Easter morning the tomb of Jesus was empty and He had risen. Of course, after they had found the eggs, they went back out and hid them again and Tim and I had to go look for them. This went on for a while - the kids re-hiding and re-finding the eggs, while I took a nap. It was nice. The kids were excited about what they got, and I wasn't tempted by candy sitting around the house for days, since the small amount they got was gone by that night.
We invited Tim's parents down to share dinner with us, and that was fun. (Didn't get any pictures of that.) All in all - it was a good day.



This is the Easter tree I took to primary. Inside the eggs were the songs we sang. I also gave each child an egg with 3 small candies. We talked a lot about "symbols." The songs were all either about Jesus or about Spring. We discussed how spring is a symbol of coming alive again. One little boy (Bryant) was chosen to come up and pick a song from the tree, and instead of picking a song, he let his little brother (Mason), (who had been hoping and hoping that his name would be chosen) pick an egg instead. I pointed out that Bryant's sacrifice was a symbol of Jesus' sacrifice for us. It was the kind of teaching moment you just can't plan, but it is great when it happens on its own...
I told them that the eggs I gave them were also symbols. The candy inside were sweet-tarts, kind of sour and kind of sweet. We talked about how the atonement can be like that. It is kind of sad to think of Jesus suffering so much pain and anguish, yet the glory of the Resurrection is so SWEET. Repenting can feel rather bitter at times, but the feeling of forgiveness? Nothing is sweeter! We talked about how after they ate the candy, the egg would be empty, just like the tomb of Jesus was empty after he was resurrected. The children seemed receptive and it was all good.


I am so very thankful for the Savior and for His Atonement.

1 comment:

Harmony said...

Wow, what great ideas for teaching children about the true importance of the holiday!