Friday, March 20, 2009

Bryan - FACE PLANT

Here is a picture of my cute little Bryan, taken last week BEFORE the following adventure took place... Isn't he cute?


Sunday night Holly invited us up to her house to decorate cookies. The kids had a great time (she makes the BEST sugar cookies I've ever had. Soft and chewy, even the next day (even after being left out on the the counter--uncovered...)) The kids had lots of fun, ate lots of sugar, made a mess of Holly's kitchen, then we headed for home.

Bryan was on his little trike/bike and was zipping down the hill in what he calls "SUPER SPEED." I was too far behind to see exactly what happened, but he somehow flipped the bike and had a major wipe out! His knees and elbows are totally fine - not a scratch. He took the whole brunt of the fall on his face and right hand. POOR KID! Sent a tooth through his lip. Cement burns on lip, nose, and hand. and looked like he broke his front tooth, but kind of hard to tell exactly to what extent. (I was hoping it wasn't too bad...)

Here's a couple pictures of his fat lip on Tuesday, two days after the crash. (the picture doesn't even come close... The first day he couldn't even close his mouth. constant drooling etc...)



So then Tuesday night, I was checking his tooth that had looked like he cracked it, and it was indeed split ... and kind of gooshy. After making several calls, I got an appt for Thurs at 8:00 am to have the tooth pulled. Turns out that the "gooshy" stuff I saw was the pulp of the tooth oozing out of the broken part of the tooth. Who knew???

Bryan was a real trooper. He didn't cry at all during the process. I was super impressed with the dentist. I think I'll see if our insurance covers that office and we may make the switch. (it was a special pediatric dentist.) Here he is - without the tooth.






What do you know... he's still a pretty cute kid. (And he still loves to ride his bike faster than I wish he would...)

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh my heck. That's all I can say.

On your next post, I have to say--any kid who gets butterflies and flowers for breakfast has a pretty hip mom.

Karlene said...

My son did that at about the same age, but he was on a skateboard he'd "borrowed" from the neighbors.

And cool pancakes! Makes me hungry.

Corinne said...

Oh my! Poor kid. Did the tooth fairy com? :-) I love the butterfly, flower and bee pancakes. I can only manage initials once in a while, or the occasional hearts (courtesy of a mold.)