Thursday, May 22, 2008

An Inspiring read

Tim gave me Ardeth G. Kapp's biography for mother's day. I finished it last night and I found it just inspiring. She is most certainly an elect lady who was sent to the earth at this specific time in history to fulfill a great mission.

Some overall thoughts... "Never give up, give out, or give in - GIVE ALL!!"

I also really enjoyed the story of when they served as mission president (and mission mom) in the Canada Vancouver mission. It told how they worked so hard and gave their all to the work. When it came time to be released, they spent the day with the incoming president, handed over the keys to everything, then drove to their motel for the night.
"Upon arriving at the motel where they were to spend the night, they found themselves too weary and sick to carry their luggage to their room. Heber grabbed his shaving kit, and Ardeth managed to carry her toothbrush and handbag inside. Everything else remained in the car. They fell into bed, exhausted but at peace, having crossed the finished line - mission completed, with not an ounce of energy remaining." (Stand As a Witness - The Biography of Ardeth Greene Kapp, pg 347)
This made me reflect on the importance to really, truly giving your all. Not just making a good effort until it become a little difficult - but really wearing out your life in the service of the Lord.

The book inspired me to try harder to -
1) maintain a positive attitude and trust in the Lord, trusting that all things will work together for my good if I remain faithful and obedient
2) fulfill each and every calling (including the sacred calling of motherhood) with faith, purpose, and all the energy of my heart
3) learn to listen to, understand, and follow the promptings of the spirit more in my life
4) be more loving, accepting, and more in tune with the needs of those around me.
5) develop a closer, more personal relationship with my Father in Heaven
6) recognize that we were each sent to earth with different missions to accomplish. I wasn't sent to be "Ardeth." I was sent to be "Jeri," and I need to be the best Jeri that I can while striving to do whatever it is the Lord sent ME here to accomplish.

As is often the case with me - the inspiration to improve comes easily - the lasting change of heart and improvement is much hard to achieve. But I'm going to strike while the iron is hot - I'm off to have a great day and accomplish much good. (or at least try to avoid the bad:)

5 comments:

Harmony said...

I loved that book too! I should read it again. Sister Kapp is an awesome woman. Thanks for the reminders of an exemplary life.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I haven't read it yet but you have made me want to! Those are good lessons to remember. I wonder what it would be like to be a mission mom. I think I would like it. DOn't know that it would ever happen for us. Bry didn't go on a mission. He wasn't a member until he was 31 when we got married but who knows?

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

I love what you said about being the best you...I remember a quote I heard from (I think it was) Judy Garland, "I would rather be a first rate me than a second rate somebody else." I thkn Cheiko Okasaki said something similar in her book, Being Enough.
We have such wonderful women in the church to look up to. We are so blessed!

Kristi said...

I feel uplifted. Guess I can get out of my jammies now and go and accomplish something. :)

Shellie said...

That sounds like a great read. I remember meeting Sister Kapp at a YW thing we did at my chapel when I was a kid. We made her a quilt, and she was very personable and gracious.