Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"GOOD LUCK" - a conversation with Aaron

Last Saturday night I was sitting with Aaron while he said his bedtime prayer. Immediately after saying "Amen"(more like simultaneously), he collapsed onto his pillow with a big sigh. I decided this could be a good teaching moment about listening for answers to our prayers.

"That was a nice prayer Aaron, did Heavenly Father have anything to say to you?"

He looked at me with the confused look I expected. I continued by explaining how in General Conference, one of the speakers told us that after we finish talking to Heavenly Father, we should sit very quietly for at least 30 seconds and listen (with our hearts & minds) to see if He has anything He wants to say to us.

"Sometimes He will tell us things that we have done wrong that we need to repent of, or He might remind of things that we need to do, or He will often just let us feel really special inside so that we know how much He loves us."


Aaron's eyes got really wide, he popped back up on his knees, closed his eyes, and just knelt there quietly. (Can't you just see me at this point??? I was feeling like such a terrific mother, and was waiting anxiously for the spirit to rush in and confirm to us both that Aaron is child of God, that Heavenly Father loves him, that the Church is true, and everything else that he needs to know to be true and faithful for the rest of his mortal life....) After a little time, he slowly opened his eyes and calmly laid back down.

"Did Heavenly Father have anything to say to you?"

"Yes."

"Great! What did He say?"

He told me that tomorrow in church, someone I know is going to sit by us and talk to me so it will be hard to be reverent."


"Oh really??" (Not exactly what I was expecting...but OK)

"Ya. We will be be sitting there first. Then someone will come and sit by us and I will want to talk to them, so I won't be able to be reverent."


"Well, Ok then. Did He have anything else to say?" (At this point, I really wasn't exactly sure what to say... I guess I'm not so great with the whole teaching moments thing... )

"He just told me, "Good Luck.""

I was chuckling inside at this point, and decided that was enough teaching for one day.

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm SO GLAD you wrote about this.

HILARIOUS!!!

Cheri said...

That is hilarious. I laughed pretty hard. It sounds like something Megan would say and do. That is great! Good teaching moment even though it was funny.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Hi, good to see you! Yes, we are fine, we've just been really really busy and I never have 10 seconds to sit down and blog. It looks like you are well and happy.

Cute story too!

Harmony said...

These are the kinds of stories that need to be written down. Good for you for doing it! I'm still laughing!

Harmony said...

P.S. So did someone sit by him? Did he have a hard time being reverent? Just curious. :-) Good for you for teaching him. It'll probably stick better than you think.

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I love it.

Our next Blogging Babe get together will be:

Saturday ∙ May 17, 2008
11:00 a.m.

Golden Corral
Orem

Sorry, I've been so preoccupied with Alvin's surgery and recovery I forgot to plan anything. So let's meet at Golden Corral at 11:00, rather than 10:00. We'll get our usual room and just get together and visit. It'll be great to see you all!

See you Saturday.

Kristi said...

OK...this is so funny! I happened upon your blog with a link from someone elses. I am new to this whole "bloggin" world, so I am just tickeled that there are other LDS bloggers out there. Too cool! I had to comment on this posting. Kids are so stinkin funny. I love it when they are so random. Who ever said that motherhood is boring? :)

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

THAT was wonderful! What a great idea. I will do this with my kids too. It's such an obvious thing and yet, why don't we think of doing things like this more often?

You are a great mom and a terrific example to me!

PS, it was SO funny! You have to tell what happened at church! I bet it came true!

Shellie said...

OH, THAT was so funny and cute! It made me laugh. He obviously is speaking to the same God as me because that's about all the answer I get to the ongoing how to instill reverence prayer is "Good Luck".