Friday, December 7, 2007

no baby yet, work party, and Faith in America

Nope - no baby yet...

Last night was Tim's work party. It was a dinner held at the Little America Hotel, and even though getting dressed up and going out (and getting stuck for a whole extra hour in traffic due to an accident - I was not involved in one, just got stuck for miles and miles because of one), it was a nice evening. I didn't have to cook or clean up, and the kids got to play at grandma and grandpa M's for 3 1/2 hours. The kids thought it it was great. (I hope the grandparents thought so too) I wish I could say that Tim won a prize, but no luck this year. (These companies that Tim works for give out great prizes. The smallest prizes last night were $100 gift cards to various restaurants, and the largest were a $500 American Express gift card and two tickets to fly anywhere Jet Blue flies. One couple at our table - a guy Tim carpools with - won a set of the airline tickets. There were $200 gas cards, $150 gift cards to Target and Walmart, $200 cards for IKEA... the list goes on. I kept thinking when they'd announce the next prize - "oh yea, I could spend that one...." Oh well - maybe next year.

Now, my reaction to Mitt Romney's Faith in America Speech yesterday. (I actually got to watch it on TV, since I was sitting the IV therapy chair at the hospital getting another iron treatment.) Now to be honest, I should start by saying that I am LDS (mormon), and I plan to vote for Romney. I think he has proven his ability to lead in times of difficulty and scandal (the SLC Olympics), I believe he has shown the ability to lead in fiscally wise decisions (balancing the MA budget without raising taxes), and I believe he is a man who lives and stands for moral and family values - which I believe this country desperately needs.

I think he did a fantastic job on his speech. I think it was very well written and delivered and was inspiring and patriotic. I was very proud of him. I listened to quite a bit of "post speech commentary" as well, and I was not at all surprised to hear the variety of reactions. Romney is in a situation where no matter what he said, there would be people who said he either "went to far" or "didn't go far enough." There is absolutely nothing he could say that would satisfy everyone. I thought he did a marvelous job in stating clearly that he is a Christian, that he does believe in Jesus Christ - but we all know that people will continue to believe whatever they want to believe. I thought he did a great job reminding the American people that it is not so important which particular faith you adhere to - as long as there is the moral foundation to build upon. I loved how he said that freedom cannot exsist without a moral (religious, if you will) foundation. I loved when he said that there were many who said he should distance himself from his faith at this time, but that was something that he would not do, not should he. I loved when he said, If I lose the election because of my religious affiliation, so be it." He stated firmly that America does not need leaders who will simply change their "beliefs" to satisfy the whim of the people.

In one radio comment I heard after the speech, Enid Green stated something along the lines that this speech was given not to convince people that Romney is one thing or another, or to convince them to vote for Romney, but it was instead to tell people that Mitt Romney deserves their fair consideration. I hope people in America will find the ability to look at the candidates for who and what they are. Who and what they stand for. How they live their lives.

I firmly believe that America is a "choice land," a "land above all others"; but I fear that we are walking a path that will take away that blessing. In the Book of Mormon we are told that the people of this land will prosper and be blessed only as we follow God. As Romney stated in his speech, there are many who seem intent on establishing the new religion in America - that of secularism. I stand for FAITH IN AMERICA. I believe that the government of this great land was inspired by God, and that the men and women who were instrumental in the founding of this great country were placed on this earth at that time and place for that specific purpose. I believe that it is time for people of faith in America to stand up and be counted. (Do I think it will happen? no, I think things will get worse before they get better... but I can hope, can't I?)

Anyway - I am not a super-charged political machine - in fact i admit that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to most things going on in the world (mostly clueless by choice) but I just wanted to weigh in on Romney's speech yesterday - and this is what came out once I started typing.

Ya'll have a great day and I hope I have baby picture to post the next time I get on here to blog!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Amen Jeri! And good luck with your delivery. Looking forward to a photo.

Unknown said...

Jeri - I agree with you 100%! I posted the speech on my blog I was so impressed with it. Mitt has my vote as well. It will be interesting to see if people can overcome their bone deep, and seriously incorrect, conceptions of Mormons and vote for the man, rather than the religion. Shocking, in this day and age, that such prejudice and bias still exist.

By the way -- the six finalists for the Best Husband in the World contest are posted on my blogspot. Please pop on over, read through them (they really are wonderful men), vote and then spread the word far and wide. Merry Christmas!