Thursday, October 18, 2007

Not great news

Well, I went to my midwife appointment this morning and the first indications were good. The midwife was pleased to find that I gained 4 lbs since my last visit. Then she looked a little more closely at my chart and pointed out that overall, I've only gained like 6 or 7 lbs throughout the pregnancy, while I should gain about 20 lbs overall. (I always lose about 10 lbs during the 1st trimester when I am sick and nauseous, so I started out slightly overweight at 150ish, then dropped to 140ish, now I'm up to 157 - but they only count the 150 - 157 gain.)
I wouldn't be worried about the weight, except that on my last visit, at 28 weeks, I was measuring 26 cm (the cm measurement should equal the weeks). I tried a lot harder this past month to eat more, and while I did increase my weight gain, today I only measured 28cm. (should have been closer to 32) It is enough of a discrepancy that they are concerned and they ordered an ultrasound to see if there is anything identifiably wrong with the baby. Needless to say, that was not exactly the news I wanted to hear today.
My list of instructions are to:
* eat at least 4 servings of protein and 4 servings of dairy everyday
* eat something (not junk food) every 2 hours (i feel bloated and heart-burn'ish just thinking about it)
* increase my iron intake. I'm to take my regular prenatal vitamin + 2 iron supplements
* "take it easy" and "not over do it" (how exactly do you define that, I wonder???)
* increase my fluid intake and spend more time lying on my side resting

If anyone out there has any related tips - let me know. For now I am just going to try not to worry about it, take it a little slower, eat more, and assume that the baby is just really low in my pelvis and that's why I'm measuring small.


On a happy note, my best friend from college wrote me a birthday poem! I tell you what, I came home for the Dr. and went online to check email, blogs, etc... and found the poem. It brought back so many fun memories and totally made my day brighter! (My birthday is actually tomorrow, but I sure needed it today. Thanks Charlotte) I am going to be brave and try to figure out how to do the linking thing, so that if you wish, you can read the fabulous "Ode to Jeri," written by the one and only Charlotte the great! (It probably won't mean much to anyone else, since it is pretty much a walk down memory lane, but I think it's great!)

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Aww man, that IS bad news from the Doctor. I'm so sorry, and I hope hope hope that you'll be able to do the things they've recommended, and that doing those things will do the trick and everything will turn out even better than just fine.

I'm glad you like the poem. I'm particularly proud of being able to rhyme "cousins" and "dozens". Those kinds of rhymes don't happen every day, ya know?

;)

Unknown said...

Jeri--I think you're right to try and put the worry out of your mind. I was same as you during 4 to 5 months of pregnancy, and lost weight so that I barely looked pregnant toward the end. My daughter in law has been the same through 7 pregnancies. And all our children turned out fine.

Worrying won't change a thing. I have to keep telling myself this every day, because I'm a worrier, too :-)

But seriously, think back to days gone by, when they didn't have all these modern child birth methods that make us worry. No one gave a second thought to belly size. It was as much as they could do sometimes to find food. And everything turned out fine.

It never does any harm to eat right, so do what they say and worry not.

Harmony said...

I got a kick out of Charlotte's poem too, just because I know you and I know Charlotte, although I don't think I've ever known you both together--I'm sure that would be a blast. :-) A happy, happy birthday to you Jeri!

Keep the trail mix handy, and don't worry too much unless the ultrasound gives you reason too. Have you had similar problems with any of your other pregnancies? If so, your other kids seem to be none the worse for it. :-) All the same, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I don't know if you like cottage cheese, but its loaded with protein & calcium.