Monday, October 1, 2007

Good morning and happy Monday.

Today marks the 30 week point of my pregnancy. They figure the baby is a little more than 17 inches long and weighs approximately three pounds. At my last appointment I was measuring a little small, so I'm hoping that at my next visit that will not be the case. With all 3 other kids I have always measured exactly right on the mark, so it worried me just a tad, then I figured there was nothing I could do about it, so I'd just try to put it out of my mind until the next visit and just hope it worked itself out. Last Thursday they called with the results from my glucose and blood tests. Glucose test was good - I always worry about that one since there is a lot of diabetes in my family. I feel like I'm a walking time bomb for that particular disease - more a question of when, not IF I'll get it. Anyway, glucose results were good, but blood tests showed anemia. Not really surprised there. I have a tendency to get anemic in the latter half of my pregnancies, and I've been SO tired lately. They advised me to take iron supplements twice a day, in addition to my prenatal vitamin. I'm mostly listening to them. I'm continuing my prenatal and taking ONE additional iron supplement. I figure that's over 400% of the daily recommended dosage. It should be plenty. I'm also going to increase my intake of iron rich nuts and raisins. (I figured I'd be lots more willing to do the nuts (in a trail mix with raisins)- which I love, than to increase my intake of liver, leafy greens, and tofu.) 10 weeks still sounds like a long time, but next week, I'll be in the SINGLE digits countdown, so I guess it really is getting closer.

Katrina is doing really well in her speech therapy class. She really enjoys the class, and she wants to do the homework all the time. She is getting so much better at putting on the "t" and "p" sounds a the end of her words - when doing the homework - not so much in daily speech, but progress is progress. She is also starting to be able to make a couple sounds (the "K" (as in kuh) and "G" (as in guh)) that she had not been able to make previously. Still have a long long way to go, but the fact that we're seeing improvement so quickly is very encouraging.

I enjoyed watching the General Women's Conference on Saturday. It was a great reminder for me to focus on what is really important in life. That it is so easy to be distracted by all the other "stuff." I need to refocus on personal study (gospel and other), being willing to serve with a happy heart - not begrudgingly, and relishing in my role as wife and mother. The power of righteous a woman is truly an amazing thing. Sometimes I just lose sight of that in the midst of what the world (and my inner 'natural man') tells me is mundane.

What a great BYU game Saturday. For those of you who are out of the loop in this regard - it was a close game. At first, I thought BYU was going to blow them (New Mexico) away - but it ended up being a very evenly played game. At the end of the game the radio announcer was comparing the game stats for each team, and it was amazing how evenly matched it was. New Mexico turnovers ended up being the one stat that was significantly different, and that ended up turning the game to BYU's favor. Now, you should know - I really don't love games like this. They make me very nervous. I LOVE them when they are over and I know we won. I really have a hard time being calm during the actual game and I tend to get a little (okay, a lot) emotional if we lose close games. At any rate - BYU won this one and it was a good game.


Let's see - anything else happen over the weekend? Nope, I think that's about it. I've been on my extra iron for a couple days now, and I'm starting to feel a little teeny tiny bit less tired, so I'd best get up off my duff and get a little something done around the house before I have to go pick up Aaron.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you and your baby. Try hard to give yourself a break and relax when you kid.

As to "(I figured I'd be lots more willing to do the nuts (in a trail mix with raisins)- which I love, than to increase my intake of liver, leafy greens, and tofu.)" -- right there with you, sister.

My husband can't handle the tight BYU games either. He got up and left and didn't come back until our neighbor boy begged him to come downstairs because the tide had turned.

See you Thursday!

Harmony said...

Don't overdo it and wipe all that extra energy out now. :-)

Go Cougars! My husband also gets uptight when the games are close and grumpy when they lose. In fact, I wonder if there is just a pall of grumpiness over the whole valley when things don't go the Cougars way.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hi there,

I saw your link over on Candace's site. Nice to meet you!

I'm excited to hear that you're in week 30. I have four children -- how well I remember that glee when I hit week 30.

I also was prone to anemia, and so I really get what you're saying. All the meat was really hard to eat, but then I realized later in my life that I'm protein deficient anyway. Thank goodness there are other sources, like you mentioned!

Take care.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Didn't BYU just rock! Go COUGS! It was nice to meet you yesterday, congrats on making it to 30 weeks, that is an HUGE accomplishment! Have a nice weekend.

Jen