Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Labor day

We worked hard to get our "laboring" done on Saturday, so that we could take Monday off and have a family play day. We had planned a day full of fun and adventure, starting with the Alpine Slide in Park City, then going to my brother's vacation condo in East Canyon to have a family get together. Unfortunately I had a really bad night's sleep Sunday night - I was up about every hour and then some - and I got up too late to get everyone/everything ready and on the road on time Monday morning. We left over an hour behind schedule - and headed up toward Park City. We decided we'd need to postpone the Alpine Slide until after the family get together since we were running so late. THEN I looked at the instruction to the condo. I had gone the LONG way. we ended up needing to go past Park City and head back DOWN Parley's Canyon to get to the turnoff. We finally got to the condo and once there - we had a very enjoyable time. We had a yummy dutch oven lunch, and the cousins had a great time playing together all afternoon. The resort had tennis courts, shuffleboard, swimming pool, splash pad for the younger kids, a playground (we never even got around to this attraction), volleyball (another that we skipped) and a little mini-golf course (after the first hole I stopped trying to enforce any type of order or rule following. I just said - go ahead, get the ball into the hole.) I played shuffleboard for the first time ever, and it was really quite fun. Tim and I played against Shayne and Mark. (two of my brothers). Tim and I had as much as a 30 point lead, and we were like 6 points away from winning for several turns. Mark and Shayne made a great comeback and ended up beating us in the end. BUMMER!

There was a stream flowing right behind the condo, and Bryan spent a good chunk of the day out there picking up rocks and then splashing them into the water. It was a beautiful setting and it was fun to hang/visit with family. The kids were having enough fun that we postponed the alpine slide yet again (much to Aaron's disappointment) for another day.

I didn't learn my lesson the first time I guess, and on the way home we also chose to take the Provo canyon route down. (Shayne told us about a short cut road that took us more directly to Jeremy Ranch, so the driving time should have been about the same either way. WELL - all the campers and travellers were on their way home, and the one lane road from Heber to about 1/2 way down the canyon was totally jammed! It took us 2 hours to get home. I WAS EXHAUSTED!!! Needless to say - I was very glad to finally get home!

And that, as they say - is the end of the story.

PS - pictures aren't actually mine. We didn't take any photos, but these are from the resorts website.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, although you to took the long way around both ways it does sound like you had a great day. Which is always a good thing. I'll bet you slept well Monday night!

In the meantime, I wanted to share: I posted this on my blog today:

"Okay, I'll admit it. Anne Bradshaw over at Not Entirely British did a really good thing and I am shamelessly borrowing from her idea of spotlighting the most amazing youth in the world. I think it is incredible what she has done and the youth that are the finalists in her contest are truly amazing. If you haven't gone to her blog yet, read about them and vote, you're going to want to do that as soon as you're done reading mine, submitting a nomination and generally recognizing that I'm the greatest blogger to ever walk the earth . . . all right, all right, you don't have to do that last part. As long as it exists in my mind I'm okay with that.

Announcing the Best Husband in the World Contest -- please check out my blog today."

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

You poor thing! It does sound like you had fun for the most part but there are times when I just don't have the energy for family get to gethers!

Oh well. I am glad you made it home!