Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Where does the time go?

I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted. Amazing how time flies. I heard the most hilarious thing on the radio Monday. (I was going to use it as the title and inspiration of a post, but obviously I never quite got around to posting.) Anyway, I was driving Katrina to speech therapy and listening to KSL on the radio. The traffic report came on and the radio guy said, "traffic is moving at a dead stop." I started laughing, and laughed about it most of the day. I think that may have to be adopted as my new mantra for those days when I am running around like a headless chicken, yet getting nothing done... "I am moving at a dead stop."

I am loving this fall weather - FINALLY! It is warm enough to be outside working in shorts and a t-shirt, yet cool enough to be outside working. Ya know what I mean? Yesterday I spent two hours spraying all the weeds that somehow started taking over my lawn over the summer. I really am not sure what happened, but in the spring my lawn (and the neighbors on both sides) had pretty healthy and weed free lawns. (Some of the usual spring dandelions, but one round of spray cleared them out...) Anyway...mysteriously, over the summer months, this horrible little weed crept into the neighborhood and is EVERYWHERE! Since 2-4D volatilizes (turns to a gas which then floats around and land on plants that you don't want killed) at temperatures above 85 degrees, I've been anxiously waiting for cooler temps so I could get out there and spray these suckers! Yesterday was the day. (I also sprayed my neighbor's yard on one side (with permission), and about 6 feet into the property on the other side - just to give my yard a bit more of a barrier. Now I keep checking for signs of distress or encroaching death. (I'm not super patient, and I want them all dead NOW!!!)

I ordered some more plants from High Country Gardens and I'm expecting them today or tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to doing some fall planting. (I'll also be doing quite a bit of transplanting - I've acquired a nectarine tree from my neighbor, and several of my plants need to be moved to more accommodating locations. So - that's what I'll be working on for the next couple days.

Katrina had her birthday on Monday, and she got a "big girl" bike. she has taken to it like a duck to water. She's out riding it back and forth outside most of the day, and insists that we bring it in at night so she can ride it up and down the hall. I think it's great - I really want my children to have a love of outdoor activities and to be physically active. (Guess that means I need to start setting a better example eh? Oh well - AFTER the baby.

My pondering for the week: I was re-reading Sheri Dew's book "If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't be Hard," and I really loved the chapter that says that "Christ will carry our burdens, but not our baggage." I have been doing a lot of pondering trying to identify what I'm hauling around that is "baggage" that I need to just let go. I'm also trying to identify more areas of legitimate "burden" that I need to be more willing to "turn over" to the Lord and let him help lighten the load.

Well - that's that - Talk to ya later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're really enjoying fall. It's my favorite season too.