Friday, March 30, 2007

A brand new day

Yesterday I got the news that a good friend of mine was going through an extrememly difficult time. In just the past two months, he took a new job, relocated across the country, bought a new home, and his older brother (best friend, surrogate father, and mentor) killed himself. What a time eh? That's enough to put anyone into a depressed state. Well, to add insult to injury, his wife of 12 years decided that she wasn't really committed to the marriage and she left him. So now he sits alone in a house, surrounded by half packed - half unpacked boxes, in a town where he knows no one, miles and miles from friends and family... I'm sure you can imagine the pain this poor guy is going through.
I spent many hours on the phone yesterday talking (listening) to him, trying to help him find some reason to keep living. I was extrememely concerned that it might be the last time I'd talk to him in this life. I am happy to report that today he is still alive - and while not exactly "well" - I am a firm believer that "tomorrow is a brand new day" - and I can only hope and pray that he will take hold of this new day - and every day to come, and make of his life all that it can be.

Life is such a beautiful gift from God. It is hard. I can't count the times that I have questioned my own worth, and wondered if my presence wasn't more of a hinderance than help to others. I often question my abilites as wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, neighbor, etc... But luckily for me, I have always been able to somehow get through to the "new" day that always seem to come. I love my life. I love my friends and family. I am grateful for all of the blessings and trials of my life, for they have made me the person that I am - and right now, at this moment in time, I feel confident that the person I am become is a good person. A person that I am pleased to be.

3 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have those those feelings too. It makes those trivial things like thunder thighs and a size 14 not look so bad, doesn't it.

Stories like this guys make you so appreciative for the things going right in your life. Thank you for sharing this.

Jeri said...

hey - who told you about my thunder thighs and being size 14? I know I didn't put THAT in my personal profile...

tekgooroo said...

Well, K**** our resolve and dedication to doing the right things is being tested. Sometimes I feel strong, sometimes you do and sometimes we both do. Heavenly Father married us because he knew that you have strengths that are weak in me and I have strengths you could use. The storms of life will come again and again in their season. Each year we learn. Each year we grow. We have so much to be greatful for. Sometimes the tornados come and spin us in different directions and we get all tangled up. Sometimes is seems impossible to straighten out. Giving the ball of yarn of life back to Heavently father he can untangle it and weave a blanket of comfort to us both. When the blanket gets torn from use we must mend it as quickly as we can to prevent to whole from getting bigger and bigger. I'm not giving up. If we have faith and a desire to make this work Heavely Father will help us make it work. That does not mean all sunny days. That would be boring anyway. Ups and downs will continue but that will be okay because we have each other and know where to look for answers.