Sunday, October 11, 2009

In Memory of...

I went to American Fork High school. I was proud to be a member of the marching band for three years. I know that in some schools it is isn't "cool" to be a "band geek," but that wasn't the case at my school. Our band was one of the best in the state, and it was a family. Seriously, if you were in the band, you were family.
The kids in the band were good kids. There weren't drugs or wild parties... well, ok, the year Julie and I were the flute section leaders, we DID have some wild section parties, but they were the CLEAN kind of wild. (not much sleep and a little bit of T.P. here and there...) Just good clean FUN! Those relationships I made in band run so deep in my heart. That is why I have been in a little bit of shock since I heard the tragic news that on the way home from their competition in Idaho, one of the buses rolled and the woodwind instructor was killed.

I was in the band the first year we took that trip to Pocatello to compete in that particular competition. Heather Christensen, the chaperon who died, was in the band with my younger brother and sister. She was one year younger than my sister, Laura, and she was Drum Major for my brother Mark. She went on to be drum major at U of U and Mark marched with her again at that time.

While it may seem strange to some, that I feel so deeply this loss of someone I don't even know, it really isn't strange to me. The American Fork Marching band IS a family. And this weekend we lost one of our own.

I remember so clearly one particular event. There was a girl in the color guard who's mom was dying from cancer and had been unable to attend any of her performances that year. Her mom died right before the BYU competition. I remember we marched onto the field, then as we stood there waiting to start, the announcer said, "The American Fork High School Marching Band would like to dedicate this performance to Monet Tracy, who's mom WILL get to see her performance tonight." I remember marching that show with tears streaming down my face. It was an amazing experience for me.

This Tuesday is once again the annual BYU invitational, and the band will be marching in memory of Heather Christensen. I can't wait to be in the stands - and in some small way, share the moment with them. I can't wait to go out to the parking lot after the show adn stand around the band as they "circle up." I want to feel a part of them again, and let them realize that they are part of something bigger - something that will be a part of them for the rest of their lives.

We are family.


(this is a song we used to sing)

Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
I can't believe the hopes He's granted

Means a chapter of your life is through
But we'll keep you close as always

It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong

And friends are friends forever

If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never

'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go

In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long

To live as friends

No a lifetime's not too long

To live as friends



5 comments:

musicmom said...

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks!

Harmony said...

I couldn't even remember for sure if you were in band at AF, but I've thought of you several times this weekend as I've followed the news of the accident and prayed for the students and families who are grieving. Good for you for going to support them tomorrow. I hope it will be a beautiful and comforting experience.

Happy Mom said...

I was in the Sky View Band back before AF could beat us :)

I remember the feeling of family and of being a part of something positive that was bigger than myself.

We lost a band member too and I will never forget marching in his honor.

Thanks for the post. You brought back such fond memories.

My thoughts and prayers are with all AF band people.

Jeri said...

Jeri I am right now crying like a baby. You have no idea what it meant to me to read this. I love you. My experience with the band students for 20 years has been the most amazing experience I will ever have. I have joked for several years now that I have 4 children of my own and hundreds of adopted children as well. I am so glad that I am able to call you as well as Matt, Mark, Laura, and Eric among them. I had no that you felt the way you did about your own mother, I am sure that it was difficult for you but also know that your mother did and does love you. I am however so happy that I made a difference in your life. It has been so good to reconnect with so many of you but I was particularly happy when we found each other. As I have read your posts I have admired all that you are doing in your life. Both you and Laura have amazed me with all of the canning and church service you give. You are so on the right path and I know that you will be greatly blessed for for all you do. Thank you for the hug last night and I would love to see you more and give you more hugs. All my love to you forever.

(this was the reply mom W. sent me via facebook - I pasted it here so I could keep it and include it the next time I print out my blog journal...)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.