Friday, October 5, 2007

The Blogger Babes

Yesterday was the first meeting of the BEAUTIFUL BABBLING BOISTEROUS BLOGGING BABES. The gathering was spearheaded by Candace @ Dream Just a Little More and was really quite fun. I have to be honest and say that for the longest time I remained uncommitted to attending the gathering. Why? I'd have to say it basically boils down to that low self esteem issue - again!

As I read the blog sites of some of these women, I was just amazed at their wittiness, intelligence, accomplishments, etc... and I thought - what in the world would I ever have to talk to these women about. I am so NOT "in their league." I finally convinced myself that they sure seemed nice enough on their blogs - and the comments they left on mine - so what not give it a shot. So I decided to go.

Just for kicks - here are a few specs on a few of these amazing women:

Anne at Not Entirely British published author, recently finished jumping through all the necessary hoops to become an American citizen. (Can I just say, after meeting her, Anne is one CLASSY lady. I'm not sure if it's all British people, or just the few I've gotten to know personally, but the Brit's just have a sense of class that we American's seem to be lacking. Is that my imagination? Maybe. At any rate - THIS particular Brit (former) has CLASS!

Donna at Donna's Journey an amazing figure in the world of homeschooling. Here is a snippet taken from her blog, "I have an art studio in my home and am presently focusing on stained glass, engraving, and sand carving, as my main mediums of artistic-creative expression. I have spoken at several Charlotte Mason, Utah Home Educators Association (UHEA), One Sure Foundation Conferences, since 1994 I have been a presenter at the TJEd Forum three out of five years. I am the Founder, Owner, and Senior-Mentor of Moor House Academy. WOW! Tim and I have discussed homeschooling many times, and I'm thinking that now I have an "IN," should we decided to take the plunge. (It won't be this year though, I can guarantee that)

Jen at Lords of the Manor - Didn't get to know Jen very well since she was at the other end of the table, (I'm sure this will be remedied at the next get together, since she will be the spotlighted blogger) - but her blog reveals a very creative an dedicated mom. She is one of the contributors/creators (pick your term) of the "mommy what's for dinner" site which is currently ranked #1 on the "family Top 100 cooking sites."

Tristi at Tristi Pinkston LDS Author Another published author. Mother of 4, home schools her children and has her own line of bath and beauty products - Scentiments.

Candace at Dream Just a Little More Yet another published author, expert on BYU football - teams past and present, been on Phil Donahue show to defend LDS church, gospel scholar (I'm itching to hear one of her firesides), certified practitioner of Quantum Touch, and devoted wife and aunt.

Can you catch a glimpse here of why I might feel SLIGHTLY out of my league? Can't you just hear me now, "Hi, I'm Jeri, and I got two loads of laundry done yesterday." (of course, they are still in piles on the kitchen table - the only clear spot in the house at the time I was ready to fold them... but I did get them washed and folded...)

ANYWAY - I swallowed my vain and foolish pride, and went to the luncheon. What a delightful time. These women are HUMAN! I found them to be just a bunch of nice women who have amazing gifts and talents that they are using. I found them kind and engaging and it was a very enjoyable lunch. It was actually rather inspiring.

The other "babes" in attendance were:

Ali at Girl in a Whirl
Anne at Twas Brillig
Lori at Scott Smith Photography
Shellie at Random Thoughts From the Archives of a Frazzled Mind
Suzanne at Chocolate Daydreams

These ladies were also down at the other end of the table, so I didn't really get to know much about them, but after taking quick peeks at their blogs, I'm guessing I'd better budget in a bit more "blog reading time" into my schedule.

That's about it for me. I got up today with one goal in mind - to get this season's 'final mowing of the lawn' done before the storm came in. I also ended up mowing the neighbor's lawn, since I wanted to run all the gas out of the mower before we put it away for the winter. I did accomplished my goal, but unfortunately I had little energy left over to work on the growing disaster INSIDE the house. Oh well - I can always clean the kitchen and fold laundry while I listen to general conference... RIGHT???

Until later -

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeri--it was GREAT meeting you at the luncheon! How amazing that you were thinking all those things. You (and all the others) are equal in every way to everyone else. We're just at different stages of our lives and each one doing things a bit different to the next--that's all.

And what better place to be, right now, for you, than a super mom to your family, and a good wife to your husband. That is an amazing contribution to society, and an achievement worthy of the highest admiration. I salute you, young lady.

Homemaking is an art in itself. Exhausting, and sometimes a drag, but often filled with unbeatable joy. Keep up the great work. And good luck with the birth :-)

Unknown said...

Jeri, you are a delightful addition to our group of Blogging Babes. When I stole this idea from JustaBeachKat I wanted to create a community of women who could support one another and enjoy a little "me" time every single month.

Being a mom is the powerful thing any woman can do in this life, Jeri. You matter, really matter. And laundry . . . oh yeah, mine is in piles too. Sorted at least and yes, you guessed. Today I will be doing laundry. Oh the joy!

Jeri said...

I know I know. I KNOW all of what you are saying is absolutely true. I know there is nothing more important in the world that I could be doing right now than caring for my family. Sometimes it's just that the logic gets chased out by... hmmm what is it that's doing the chasing???
* past experiences that left deep psychological scars???
* the negative influence of current worldly ways of thinking???
* SATAN???? (I like to blame everything on him - it makes it so much simpler.)

At any rate, regardless of why they come, the negative thoughts DO come in, and usually I am able to be quickly reminded of TRUTH and get re-focused and re-committed to the purpose and value of this season of my life. (and thanks for the reassuring words and confidence building comments. I believe all of us need to hear more often that we (and what we are doing) is of value.)

Unknown said...

I like to blame everything on satan too. Works for me . . . just remember that we thought you were marvelous!

. . . and the reason I drop by:

There are 23 days left and counting, ladies . . . if you have the most wonderful husband in the world, you need to nominated him!

I know there are other wonderful husbands out there. Until midnight November 30, 2007 I will be taking nominations via this email address ces@candacesalima.com. The six finalists will be posted, please send a picture with the nomination, on December 1, 2007 when voting will commence and the winner will be chosen by you. Sadly, because it would just be skewed, my husband cannot win although I think he'd be a shoe in. On December 15, 2007 the winner will be announced.

We have some great husbands already nominated, but I know there are more out there. So start nominating! Tell me about your husband and why you think he is the Best Husband in the World! That would be world . . . ladies, no geographic boundaries.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Jeri,

Do not for any reason at all feel intimidated! You are an amazing woman. Hey, I didn't get any laundry done, and my family badly needs it. I bet they'd trade you for me any day. ;)

It was wonderful to meet you and I can't wait until next time.

Christine said...

Wow...what an amazing group. Being a homemaker can be tough as you don't get any external validation.