Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tuesday's thoughtful tip

Yup, you guessed it, I'm combining them today. (I'm finding that if I actually take the time on Tuesday to post a "tip" (ya, all of two times now...) that it is really hard for me to take the time again on Thursday to be thoughtful - even if I do have some thoughtful kind of thoughts...)

So - here is the tip -


BE YOUR OWN BEST DOG!

or

Be the best YOU that YOU can be.

or

You aren't expected to be a hunting dog AND a hospital dog -
Just be what YOU were meant to be!

(you get the idea, use whatever words you want...)


and now, if you have more time to read, here is the story (the thought) behind it.

In church on Sunday, my friend Jenny shared some thoughts that I needed to hear. She was talking about her neighbor's dog, Cocoa, who is a "working dog." Cocoa has been trained and certified to go into hospitals and nursing homes to give love and comfort to people. (this is not Cocoa, but the same kind of dog and pretty much just as pampered, Cocoa is just more brown...)


The neighbor (Christine) had come with Jenny to a family dinner and in the course of the evening, Jenny's brother remarked that while Cocoa was very good at giving love and comfort to people, he would make a LOUSY hunting dog.


Jenny then paralleled how each of us in life is good at different things. While some of us are good at one thing, we aren't so good at something else. and vice verse. AND THAT IS OKAY!

Then Jenny and I were talking yesterday and I asked for her advice. I told her how frustrated I was that no matter how hard I try, I just can't keep on top of the housework. When the house actually does get picked up and looking nice (either by myself or the house cleaning help,) I just can't maintain it! It drives me crazy! She has 3 kids, and yet she is organized and her house always looks picked up and ready for people to walk right in. We talked about it for a while and I thought it was hilarious the direction the conversation went.
She tried to make me feel better by pointing out things that she struggles with but she thought I was good at. The first one she said was "good at managing money." I laughed right out loud! I hated to burst her bubble, but while I can MENTALLY understanding how to save money, I can't do it. I get totally stressed out when Tim and I have to discuss finances. Luckily Tim is EXCELLENT with money and he covers for me and is patiently trying to train me to be better.

Another thing that made me laugh was when she suggested that I might be extra critical of myself because I spend so much time with my friend Holly, who is an excellent housekeeper. Jenny said something along the lines of it might be discouraging to me to hang around with Holly because she was so "perfect." I just had to laugh, because I am good enough friends with Holly that I know that even though she IS a great housekeeper and super organized and she is an all around super great person - I also know the struggles and insecurities she has.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that what we see on the outside isn't necessarily what's really going on.

Just as Cocoa would never make it as a hunting dog, I don't know that I will ever make it as a super housekeeper. I am getting a little better, I think. And Tim and I are trying really hard to get the kids trained into some better habits, but it is slow going. and that is OKAY! We are moving in the right direction.

I just need to figure out what kind of "dog" I am, and then be the best I can at that!

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I like this one.

A Lot.

Jenny Mae said...

Every once in a while it is nice to know that one was listening when the spirit spoke. Your a great dog Jeri - Some kinda Beagle and Lab Mix. I love beagles and Labs. They are both so extremely useful, naturally have the desire to be obedient and helpful and holy crap are they lovable I mean really lovable. Just look into their eyes and they flood your soul with feelings of love and worth-whileness (not sure if that is a word?) I love ya. Your doing great. If the Lord wanted Giant leaps he would have made us giants but he didn't we came here as babies and he has only asks for baby steps.

Shellie said...

All I know is I'm the same kind of dog as you. And we are great at other stuff. Will it matter if our house was clean years from now?

Anonymous said...

I'm the first to admit that I am a mutt - the best kind of dog, ever - but with no proof of that (like AKC paperwork)

I'd like to think I'm part Terrier - because they never give up, no matter what. And they're smart, and funny...

yep, I must be terrier...(I hope)

ali cross said...

I love this Jeri! Great tip AND great thought. I whole heartedly agree!