Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring Break - Monday

Since Tim will be taking time off this month to go with Aaron on the 8th grade California trip...  it makes it pretty hard to take more time off for us to go anywhere as a family for Spring Break.  So... we decided instead to stick close to home, accomplish some projects around the house & yard, and try to do something "fun" everyday.

Today's adventure was exploring "Zombie-land."   Never heard of it?  Don't feel bad - until last week, neither had I.  In south Provo, there is a place called Ironton.  Back in the early 1900's there was a steel company operating there.  It operated for about 50 years (i forget the specifics) but is now a big pile of ruins. Aaron "discovered" it while on a walk recently, became fascinated instantly, and named it zombie land, in honor of the spray painted aliens and zombies on the crumbled buildings.  (after I heard about it, I instantly made a rule about him never going there again without a "buddy."  After visiting it - my rule is absolutely reinforced and I suggested that having TWO buddies at all times would be even better than one.  Not exactly the safest place to hang out, and I sure hope he doesn't get seriously hurt or DIE... but I have to admit it is a great adventure spot for boys.)


Aaron saw pair of aviator glasses down in this hole, so he climbed down to retrieve them


Caleb & Katrina in front of the resident "alien"

An underground cavern filled with water

After our exploration, Katrina and her friends filled the kiddie pool with water (after all  it did officially get above 70*) and played  in the water while Bryan and I both got sunburned while working in the yard.

Tonight we made some cupcakes (a leftover kit from Halloween) then set up the tent in the back yard.  As I  type this up, Caleb and Katrina are in the tent, and Bryan is sleeping in the hammock.

I felt an overwhelming urge to shove my cupcake into Aaron's face - I just couldn't help myself :)