Monday, September 19, 2011

YW Scripture Challenge

Two weeks ago I taught the combined young women's lesson.  The lesson subject was a great one, all about scripture study and making it more meaningful.  I knew that many of our girls have little to no idea of how to use the many resources that we have in our scriptures.  Things like the Topical Guide, The Bible Dictionary, and the footnotes.  I was frustrated with how the lesson went because I had SO much I wanted to do with them - getting them INTO their scriptures, but when all was said and done, I only got about 20 minutes of lesson time.  You know me - - I can barely say HELLO in 20 minutes, let alone teach a lesson! 

Oh well, I did my best and sent them all home with a four page worksheet designed to help them USE the resources in the scriptures.  It was a worksheet I created by taking and exercise out of my trusty missionary guide.  It offers 4 great keys to making scripture study more meaningful, plus exercises to help you practice each skill.  In case you are wondering, the four skills are:

1) Identify who or what the passage refers to.  (who is speaking, to whom, and about what)
2)  Define words and phrases
3)  Recognize lists
4) Put your own name into the scriptures


I gave out the handouts and a new spiral bound notebook to use as their scripture journal, and challenged them to 1) complete the handout and 2) read their scriptures DAILY for 2 full weeks, recording in the journals what they read, learned, felt, etc... The promised reward for everyone who completed the challenge is a full size candy bar (or like-priced treat) of their choice.  (in addition to the increased testimony and peace that is promised to those who daily read the scriptures)

Of course, being the one who issued the challenge, I HAD to complete it myself.  Daily scriptures is a hard things for me, I just find I push it off and push it off, until it is LATE and then I am TOO TIRED, and I do the "I'll do it tomorrow" thing...

I am VERY HAPPY to report that I DID IT!!!  Yesterday was day 15, and I did it!  Now I'm going for a full 30 days!!!

I know a few girls started the challenge a week late, and others were planning to do it, but I haven't heard yet who has completed it...  I know Heather (the 2nd counselor in the YW presidency, and my "partner is crime" for Beehive related stuff) did it! - (Way to go, you awesome woman you!) and we both have really had a positive experience.  I am off this week to buy a few candy bars!  HOORAY!


1 comment:

Heather said...

Best challenge ever!

One of my favourite things from the lesson was the clock stopping and you realizing you only had 2 minutes...

Thanks for being so awesome!