Thursday, September 29, 2011

4th quarter come back - (taken from middle-aged mormon man)

a friend of mine posted a link on facebook to a blog post that I LOVED.  (in fact, I ended up reading lots of this guy's posts and really liked every one I read, so even though I have no clue who he is, I added him to my google reader and I already plan to use a few things I read in my YW lessons.   ("the Tarzan principle" for one...)  Here is the link to his blog:  http://middle-agedmormonman.blogspot.com/

and here is the text from his today's post - just in case you aren't going to pop over and read it yourself on HIS site...

"There's nothing more exciting in sports than when a team that has been written off pulls together and makes a big push to come from behind and win an important game. Many iconic football and basketball stars have had this knack  Guys like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning and John Elway have become legendary - partly from their ability to pull off the 4th Quarter Comeback. How about LeBron James. (Kidding - Just checking to see if sports fans are paying attention.)

Now, I don't want to frighten anyone, but take a look at your calendar.  See Saturday?  Yes, it is General Conference.


What? You're telling me that they have Conference on Saturday too?  Who knew?!

Yes, there has always been Conference on Saturday, and, just to  reward the faithful, Saturday sessions are usually better than Sunday sessions. Give it a try.

Where was I...

Oh, this Saturday is not only conference, but it is Q4. The first day of the 4th quarter. Yes, 'tis true - the year is 75% over. We are due for a flurry of holidays, and then 2011 will be gone. Over. Irretrievable. Before you know it, we will find ourselves waking up, laying on our backs, staring at the ceiling saying to ourselves:

"Argh! It is New Years and I didn't get the things done that I had hoped for this year. And now it's time to make the same stupid resolutions again - and most of my new resolutions will be the same stuff that I resolved to fix last year."

Yes, the dreaded New Year's self-assessment. So often it ends in failure.

2011: The year I stopped drinking the ambrosia that is Mt. Dew. (Then started again in June)
2011: The year we struggled with Family Scripture study the most in 15 years.
2011: Can you say "yo-yo dieting"?
2011: The year I did not meet my temple goals.
2011: The year my gym membership worked out to $60 per visit.
2011: The year I did not meet my financial goals.
Etc. (your mileage may vary)

(Just a note: Now is not the time to go all "forget-me-not patient and charitable with myself" - This is leading somewhere)

2011 has not been a particularly "kind" year to many of us. In fact, I know many who have struggled this year. If 2011 were to end this Saturday, I would gladly throw it on the trash heap, dust of my hands, gird up my loins, and start over.

Nope. Not this year. This year I am going to do something different. I am going to stage a late rally. Starting Saturday, I am going to make a 4th Quarter Comeback. You see, this year is not over yet. I have not yet heard the viking-clad woman singing. There is still time to get things done. There is still time to make changes. There is still time to improve.

I want to wake up on New Year's morning, stare at the ceiling, and say "Hah. I kicked 2011's butt." And then go back to sleep. Later in the day, I want to make a whole new set of goals that build on what I accomplished in 2011, instead of the same old stuff.

Yes. I am shifting uncomfortably in my seat as I type this...  How am I going to do this? Here is the plan:

1) Between now and Saturday, I'm going to review my year, and what I had hoped to accomplish.
2) This weekend I am going to sit at the feet of the prophets and learn what the Lord wants me to focus on.
3) Discuss these things with my EC and come up with a game plan.
4) Clear it with the Lord.
5) Spend the next 13 weeks - 92 days - getting it done. (I can do most anything for 90 days)
6) Look back at 2011 fondly, as a time where I flexed my soggy self-mastery muscles.

It is time for my 4th Quarter Comeback.

Who's with me?"

It's ME again.  Wasn't that great!?!?!?  I am totally in.  Don't know if I'll do any better as a 4th quarter come back kid than I have in the first 3 quarters of the year, but at least I'll feel better about trying to be a FINISHER!  I hate games when my team just seems to have given up.  it's like they just accept that they have lost and they don't even bother playing the rest of the game. 

YES I CAN - I CAN AND WILL FINISH!!!!!

1 comment:

Harmony said...

Wow! If the Cougars can do it, so can you! Wasn't that just extra inspiration?! I stayed up until 1 a.m. to watch it on byutv after I listened to it on the radio. I'm amazed at the timeliness of your post and middle aged mormon man's. :-)