Sunday, January 16, 2011

primary at home

Apparently there is a problem with one of the sensors in the church alarm system.  It went off twice last week during church (I was home sick and missed out on the fun), and had gone off twice already today before we started our sacrament meeting at 1:00.  The facility management personnel told our bishopric that if it went off again they should just cancel the remainder of church and send everyone home.

About 15 minutes into the meeting, right after the first sacrament prayer was said and they boys had begun passing the bread, the alarm went off.  Under the direction of the bishopric, they continued to pass - through the ensuing alarms and continual emergency announcements.  It was certainly a first for me.

I found it really interesting that once I got over the initial distraction of the alarm (and the giggles and noise of children (of all ages) going on around me), I actually felt the spirit MORE than I have, while taking the sacrament, for a long time. I think it is because it really drove home to me the importance and sacredness of that ordinance.  Partaking of the symbols of Christ's Atonement are SO important, that we continued on through the chaos that surrounded us.  (and don't worry, they sent someone out to check all the rooms to make sure there really wasn't a fire this time...)  I was reminded that the spirit can be felt in all circumstances, if our hearts are open.  That sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary occurring to help us appreciate the simple, "routine" things, that we take so for granted.

When the alarm went off, Aaron was just a tad bit too excited about the prospect of NO MORE CHURCH - and NO PRIMARY, so I announced that we would be holding primary at home.  We prayed together, sang songs, repeated the theme, and read scriptures.  Our Primary President came down to our home and presented her sharing time lesson for us. LUCKY US! (this came about because Luke, her son, is Aaron's best friend and he wanted to invited Luke to come to "our primary." - Aaron seemed pretty excited to be able to invite his friends to come (Luke and Chris), but realistically I have to admit that it just might have something to do with the whole "misery loves company" thing.)  Any which way you choose to look at it, when we invited Luke to come, Sister W. said she would come down and do sharing time for us.  It was great.  The lesson was on holding to the iron rod (symbolic of the word of God) to guide us through the trials of life.


For singing time we played pictionary - each child got to draw pictures until we guessed the name of a song (of their choosing), then we sang that song.  It was fun.  I took the opportunity to teach them that if there ever came a time that for whatever reason, we couldn't attend regular church meetings, we could still have the lessons, sharing time, and singing time, in our home - and I pointed out to them the things I had be taught today about how important the sacrament is.  It was a good meeting, I felt the spirit and I hope the kids did too. PLUS they still got out a whole hour early!

Thank you Laura for your sharing time - it was great!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

What a great idea! And I'm totally stealing the Pictionary thing and sharing it with our chorister. :-) Thanks!

Heather said...

Great for you! I had a nap and did some thinking...