Tuesday, August 19, 2008

gift of tongues anyone???

After she should have been sleeping, Katrina came in and brought a note for me and a note for Tim. We said thank you and sent her back to bed, then tried to decipher the notes. (usually we have her read them to us while they are fresh in her mind so that we know what they say - this morning when I asked her to rad them to us, she could only read parts of them - so she made up a whole bunch of other stuff) Unfortunately I seem to be lacking in the "gift of tongues." Here they are for your deciphering fun:

MINE - typed as written :

Mom
ILVITWNY
KS[scribbles out B] D
SGrADW (the r on this line looks just like a T)
YPAWTHME
ILVYY
LVME
THS/SDWEIS
DUN THKMOM

(translation as best as I can get - "Mom, I love it when you kiss? ? Grandpa went home. I love you. You love me. This story is done. Thanks mom."

Here is Tim's note -

DAD/I LVYO
I NOMISES
INS S BGSM
SMR FR Y T I N
OHTOKTADW
TSDWS AD
MI SAPSADNBS
ILVDID BIN

Translation: "Dad, I love you. I know my seasons. Spring, Summer, Fall. I know how to count and ??? (I think it might say write words) and my shapes and numbers. I love dad (misspelled maybe) ?


As I was typing them out, I figured out a few more bits and pieces. when I would say the right thing, Trina would light up and say "You did it mom, you remembered what I wrote!"
I think she is amazing. Ya - she missed most of her vowels and middle sounds, but I think it's great that she is writing independently and that she gets most of her beginning sounds and a lot of her ending ones... We need to work on putting spaces in between words (that's what the few backslashes are - she's trying to put in "spaces") - that would help a lot, but hey, she's only 4 and she's self taught, so I'm not complaining! Besides, it keeps me trying to develop my "spiritual gift - the gift of tongues"

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

These notes are just adorable! I'm completely impressed with your translation skills.

Jeri said...

believe me - it was no easy task. I understand a little bit more about the whole concept of "study it out in your mind, then ask if it is right..." Trina wasn't able to read it back to me, but she knew when I finally got it right

Holly said...

It seems to me that when a child is born, the mother is automatically endowed with the gift of tongues. I'm totally impressed with your talents :)

Kristi said...

This is awesome. That is pretty impressive that she is able to do that at such a young age.

ali cross said...

Aww! That is so sweet! I love those little 'baby' notes. Precious.

I never considered the ability to translate a gift, but you know I bet it is! Like how only moms can understand their little ones' baby talk? It's a gift we're given just for us, just for that moment, just to understand THEM - our babies.

TFS!