Thursday, May 31, 2007

ABC's of Homemaking

I got this from Melissa and since I haven't posted anything FOREVER - I thought this would be an easy way to get something posted.

These are the ABC's of homemaking.

~

aprons- y/n? if y, what does your favorite look like?
I own 1 apron. It is plain blue. very non-creative. I only wear an apron on Sunday's when I'm cooking in my Sunday clothes.

~

baking- favorite thing to bake:
I love to bake all sorts of unhealthy things - but only in the winter. In the summer I hate to turn on the stove - it adds too much heat tot he house. cookies, cakes, and candies. - but I LOVE fresh hot Cinnamon rolls and hot homemade wheat bread.

~

clothesline- y/n?

yes - use it all summer long

~

donuts- have you ever made them?

Not an official donut recipe. I have made "donuts" using bread dough when I'm making bread.

~

everyday- one homemaking thing you do every day.

I make my bed everyday - (Except for the days when I am feeling so nauseous that I am IN the bed all day)

~

freezer- do you have a separate deep freeze?

yes.

~

garbage disposal- y/n?

Yes - Tim and I differ on how much it should be used - but since I'm the one who generally does the kitchen/food clean up work - I get the finally say.

~

handbook- what is your favorite homemaking resource?

Flylady.com - my Flying CD, the music gets me pumping so I can get into my work.

~

ironing- love it or hate it?

Ironing? What's Ironing? I actually do OWN an iron, but I couldn't tell you the time I used it.

~
junk drawer- y/n? where is it?

In the kitchen

~

kitchen- color and decorating scheme?

walls painted Botany Beige, ceiling and trim painted Coconut Colada (ie beige and white) No decorating scheme at all. I am so NON CREATIVE when it comes to this kind of stuff!

~

love- what is your favorite part of homemaking?

If and when I actually feel like I got something done! I love it when I can walk through the house and feel like it is clean. I love that peaceful content feeling that comes with a clean house. Needless to say, I haven't really felt that feeling for about 8 weeks, but I am hopeful that in another 2 or 3 weeks I'll be back to feeling like I can tackle mt life again.

~

mop- y/n?

only like a couple times a day! Well, that's not exactly true. The kitchen floor needs mopping that often, but I usually only do it once a day. (and right now it's more like every 2 or 3 days, or when I can't take the stickiness any more!)

~

nylons- wash by hand or in the washing machine?

machine. Anything I can't wash in a machine, I don't own. I don't actually have any real "nylons." I have knit tight kind of things for wearing in the winter and knee high stocking kind of things for summer

~

oven- do you use the window or open the oven door to check?

Open the door.

~

pizza- what do you put on yours?

BBQ Chicken pizza with pineapple and nuts is my favorite.

~

quiet- what do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?

Right now I lie down and try to catch a quick snooze. Normally - probably read

~

recipe card box- y/n? what does it look like?

I have the Healthy Meals in Minutes set that I use quite a bit, and I have a little plain plastic blue recipe card box that I got from Mercy for Christmas one year.

~

style of house- what style is your house?

Split Level - (Wouldn't do it again! - I'm going for a rambler on my next house)

~

tablecloths and napkins- y/n?

I own 1 table cloth, and I use it on "special occasions." I don't own any cloth napkins. I do have paper napkins in the pantry, but my kids are convinced that the work napkin means paper towel.

~

under the kitchen sink- organized or toxic wasteland?

Pretty organized (thanks to flylady and pre-pregnant days)

~

vacuum-

how many times per week?
Not enough. With the kids, dog, and cat I should vacuum everyday, but it's more like 2 or 3 times a week. ( on a good week)

~

wash- how many loads of laundry do you do per week?

I try to do one load per day. so like 6 loads per week. In the winter it is a few more, since jeans and sweaters take more space int he washer than shorts and t-shirts

~

x's- do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?

I used to do it more than I do now. Flylady encourages to get into "routines," so while I may do the same things everyday, it is more of a mental check of list. (And to be honest, right now I'm not getting much of anything done...)

~

yard- y/n? who does what?

Our house is on .24 acre, so not too big, not too small. I generally take care of our small veggie garden, and I enjoy mowing the lawn. Tim also enjoys working outside and doing "projects," so he's always involved in something outside.

~

zzz's- what is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?

After I finally get all the kids to bed, I check that all the doors are locked, let the dog out, feed the fish, and CRASH!

4 comments:

Harmony said...

Two questions--what kind of nuts do you put on your BBQ chicken pizza, and why would you not do split level again? (I'm in the market for a house and split-levels seem to be pretty prevalent in our price range.)

I like the ABC thing, but don't know when or if I'll get around to doing it myself! Hope you feel better/less sick/more energetic soon!

Jeri said...

Harmony - I'd email you, but I don't have your actual email address - so I hope you check back.

I love cashews on my BBQ chicken pizza, but I don't usually keep them on hand in the house (i eat them too fast if they are here) so I usually use slivered almonds when I make it homemade. There used to be a pizza shop here that made a pizza I loved. they called it their "western" it had the BBQ sauce, onions, chicken, pineapple, cashews, and crumbled bacon. YUM YUM YUM -

Split level - too much hiking up and down for my liking. my floor plan is you walk in and the front room is immediately to your right, or you can go upstairs (8 steps) to the kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 baths or you can go down downstairs (8 more steps)to our uncarpeted family room, office, laundry/bath, and extra bedroom. then from the basement family room I have another 5 or 6 steps down into our storage room. SO. FOr me to get soemthing out of the freezer for dinner, I go down 21 steps. Everytime I do laundry, I haul the laundry up and down the 16 stairs. Bringing in groceries I carry all the bags up 16 steps. It just gets a little tiresome.
My bigger beef about my floor plan is that there is nowhere for my kids to play (as babies especially) while I'm working in the kitchen. because the front room is down one flight of stairs, my babies have to play on the hall or I throw a blanket on the kitchen floor while I am cooking/cleaning/etc...

So - my "next house" I want the laundry on the main level, and I want a family room that is open to the kitchen dining area (great room kind of thing) Since I feel like I am always in the kitchen, and my current floor plan just isn't conducive to "family togetherness" while we all still do our own thing - if you know what I mean.

Now - I have seen split levels with the laundry on the main living level, and they have a more open living space floor plan. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Just keep in mind that if you have elderly grandparents that will want to come visit - they don't do stairs well. My grandparents can't come visit us in our house - due to all the stairs.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I would never do a split level either. Lots of reasons and no reasons. I just don't love them.

Good list. So glad you did it too!

You know, I check your blog everyday almost and I truly need you to post more often!!!

I would love a new thermostat but Bry is one of the practical kinds. "It's not hard to turn off at night"..

Yea, I am married to a plumber and is my basement bathroom finished after 5 years in this house?....hmmmmm. Nope.

good list though! Loved hearing from you!

Let me know when you are feeling better so we can all get together!

Harmony said...

Thanks Jeri. The pizza sounds yummy, and I'll keep the split level pros and cons in mind...or maybe just the cons. Thanks again.