Wednesday, March 2, 2011

the PUSH Challenge - day 2

yesterday's assignment was to just start thinking about my life VALUES.

Day 2 - my assignment today was to work out ON PAPER my top 3 priorities and to break them down into more specific items.

I struggled with this assignment just a little, because in my MIND I know what I want my priorities to be, but my ACTIONS are often not consistent with those priorities. I suppose that I am supposed to write down what I WANT my priorities and actions to be? With that as my base assumption – my top 3 priorities are:

#1 – HOME (to be cheerfully and positively engaged with my husband & kids -and create a loving home  environment.)

#2 – GOD (daily strengthen my personal spirituality) 

#3 – Others (reach out to others in need, give help spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, etc...)

Looking at those, I recognize that I "should" switch number 1 and 2/  God is supposed to come first - then everything else after that.  guess I'll have to ponder that some more and see how the challenge helps me redefine things.

OK - I pondered.  I am going to switch them because I believe it is the right thing to do.  My top 3 priorities are:

#1 - GOD

#2 - HOME

#3 - OTHERS


The next part of the assignment was to answer some questions about why I placed the #1 priority where I did and what actions are (and are not) consistent with that #1 status.  Then to identify what things need to change to honor that priority.

The final step was to create a"top priority clarity statement."


My number one priority is to strengthen my personal relationship with God.  The first of the 10 commandments was "Thou shalt have no other God's before me."  In the New Testament, Jesus taught, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment."  When I have a close, personal relationship with God, He can then guide me in all other aspects of my life.  I will have peace in all that I do.  I build and strengthen my relationship with him through regular prayer, scripture study, meditation, and temple attendance.

3 comments:

Harmony said...

I've always liked this quote about putting God first:

"If you have not chosen the kingdom of God first, it will in the end make no difference what you have chosen instead.”
--William Law, 18th-century clergyman

That being said, making our relationships with our families a priority would be in keeping with what God wants us to do, so that is making Him our priority too. I suppose the order matters, but I think your categories overlap. On the other hand, I know people who put spending time with their family ahead of attending church with them, so putting God first makes more sense. And I believe if my relationship is not right with God first, my relationships with my family will be that much more difficult. Thanks for the food for thought Jeri!

Jeri said...

You are absolutely correct Harmony - they are all very closely intertwined. I didn't thin kit mattered much the order, but as I've tried SUPER hard to put God first , I am finding that the others are falling into place much better. (generally speaking...)

I feel bad, but the last two days I haven't done my PUSH Challenge Assignments. I have been running like CRAZY! Now I have some serious catching up to do...

Cami Checketts said...

Wow. How wonderful that you are pondering what you want to accomplish and then doing it. It's so true that if you put God first everything else will fall into place, but my boys are always my focus. The great thing is when I'm teaching them about God and how to live I feel like I'm accomplishing both of my important goals.