Sunday, February 21, 2010

Music and Memories (President Lake part 2)

As you know from my last post, My former mission President passed away this past week. It really isn't feasible for me to jet down to AZ for the viewing and funeral, regardless of how much I am LONGING to be there. They are having a graveside service next Saturday that I will be able to attend, and for that I am super grateful.

SO... Today I was at church, just going about my regular primary singing time stuff, and quite frankly, President Lake's passing hadn't crossed my mind the entire 2 hours. (primary music pretty much takes 100% of my attention) So as the kids were dismissed for the day, my pianist just randomly picked a song to play.

He chose "We'll Bring the World His Truth." (aka Army of Helaman)

I leaned over the piano and immediately said, "I LOVE this song," - because I do. Than about 5 seconds later the memories rushed in and the tears started falling. (and the dumb things haven't stopped falling yet!!!)

I stood there thinking back to each and every zone conference, when after our lunch meal had been served, All the missionaries would gather in a 1/2 circle. President Lake would have all the people who had volunteered to prepare and serve our meal come out of the kitchen and stand in front of us. We would then sing "Army of Helaman." President had printed up little cards with the words to all 3 verses of this song (plus on the back side it had all the verses of the Canadian National Anthem, "O Canada," which were we also expected to learn) and we carried them in our missionary handbook of rules. (our "little white bibles") On the final tag line of the song, instead of singing "to bring the world his truth" we would sing "and thank you for the meal." Then we would go down the line and each missionary would, in turn, thank the volunteers.

Once again, at President and Sister Lake's homecoming, all of the missionaries that had travelled to Arizona to be there, went up on the stand and sang this song again. (and there were a lot of us there! We completely filled the choir seats and the stand.)

I have sung this song many, many times since serving as a full time missionary, but TODAY, the memories are strong and meaningful.

It is amazing to me the power of music to bring back such powerful memories. Just hearing that music - at this time - turned back time 18 years and turned me into a TOTAL crybaby!
I am thankful for beautiful, musical, memories.

1. We have been born, as Nephi of old,
To goodly parents who love the Lord.
We have been taught, and we understand,
That we must do as the Lord commands.

2. We have been saved for these latter days
To build the kingdom in righteous ways.
We hear the words our prophet declares:
“Let each who’s worthy go forth and share.”

3. We know his plan, and we will prepare,
Increase our knowledge through study and prayer.
Daily we’ll learn until we are called
To take the gospel to all the world.

Chorus
We are as the army of Helaman.
We have been taught in our youth.
And we will be the Lord’s missionaries
To bring the world his truth.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

This is beautiful. What a great tribute to a really great man.

Lamps Family said...

Hey girl...I just wanted to say the other day I fed the missionaries for their zone conference here and what do you know, they sang that song to us when lunch was over. I had tears in my eyes. I can't believe how much that song affects me now. Other thoughts I have of President Lake have something to do with Donuts, but me and you can just leave it at that. What a great man he was.
I hope we can keep in touch.
Julee Davis Lamps