Friday, February 19, 2010

Jack S. Lake

Almost 18 years ago I had the fantastic opportunity to serve a mission for my Church. I was called to serve in the Canada Calgary mission and I LOVED IT!!!! It was such an amazing time of growth for me. My mission president was Jack S. Lake, and as far as I am concerned, he was truly a "giant among men." My heart was sad when I heard the news yesterday that he had passed away. I kept hoping that maybe it was just one of those "rumors" and that it wasn't true, but I was doing a search this morning and found the obituary on the "Lake Family blog" that confirmed it.

President Lake knew me better than I knew myself. He was able to look past my insecurities and protective "walls" that I had built around my heart, and he taught me so much - about myself and about the gospel.
* He taught me the importance of STRICT OBEDIENCE.
* He taught me about the atonement of Jesus Christ - that we ALL fall short and that as long as we have done what we CAN do - the Savior will do the rest. He will reach down and lift us the rest of the way, whether the difference is large or small - the Savior has overcome and is waiting to lift us the rest of the way.
* He drove home the saying "attitude, more than aptitude, determines altitude."
* Another thing that he taught me that has had a huge impact on my life, was the day he looked into my eyes and said, "Sister Fugal, you are HUMAN. It's OK to make mistakes." That became my mantra for a long time. When I would start to beat myself up over something, I would say to myself "I am human. It is ok to make mistakes."

I am so deeply grateful for the time I had to serve under the direction of President Lake. I love him dearly and look forward to a day in the future when I will see him again and I can once again thank him for all that he did to lift me and teach me and build me up.

I have taken the liberty of copying the post from the Lake family blog in it's entirety, because I want it in my "journal." (probably not really of any interest to you, but very important to me, and it is, after all, MY blog...)


THANK YOU PRESIDENT LAKE!!!




Jack Smith Lake 1936 - 2010. Jack Smith Lake passed away peacefully, with his family surrounding him, on February 18, 2010. Jack was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 1, 1936, to John B. Lake and Virginia S. Lake, with brothers Michael (Mary Lee) and Scott (Joan). He graduated from South High School in Salt Lake City in 1954, where basketball was a priority. After one year at Utah State University, a second year at the University of Utah, and pledging Sigma Chi, Jack served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the South Australia Mission from 1956 to 1958. Upon returning, Jack studied at the University of Utah, earning a Bachelor's degree and a Masters Degree of Business Administration in 1962. Later, in 2005, the University of Utah honored Jack as a Distinguished Alumnus of the David Eccles School of Business. Jack married Ellen Marie Barlow in the Salt Lake Temple on August 10, 1959. Jack served in the United States Army achieving the rank of Captain before his honorable discharge. Jack and Marie moved to Phoenix, Arizona to raise their five children: Greg (Lisa), Allison (Mike) Gleave, Holly Lake Beus, Sean (Amy), and Jennifer (Dan) Jolley. Jack worked at Western Savings and Loan Association for fifteen years engaged in various aspects of real estate development. Later Jack started his own development company and successfully developed and operated the Arizona Golf Resort, apartment projects, condominiums, restaurants, and medical buildings. Jack was actively involved in the Boy Scouts of America. He earned the rank of Eagle as a young man. Later in life, the Boy Scouts of America awarded him the Silver Beaver and the Distinguished Eagle awards. Jack also built the Boy Scout headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. Jack served in numerous callings in the LDS Church, including High Councils, Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies, and a Temple Sealer. In 1991 Jack served a second mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, serving as the President of the Canada Calgary Mission until 1994, where he and Marie embraced and served with hundreds of young men and women. Above all, Jack was a man of impeccable character, and completely devoted to Marie, his children and his twenty-two grandchildren. Jack is preceded in death by both of his parents and his grandson Nicholas Gleave. A visitation will be held on Sunday, February 21, 2010, at 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, with Funeral Services held Monday, February 22, 2010, at 10:30 am, both at the LDS Chapel located at 4225 N. 56th St., Phoenix, Arizona. Graveside Services will be held at the Salt Lake City Cemetery (380 N., 1150 E.) on Saturday, February 27, 2010, at 11:00 am. Funeral arrangements are handled by Bunker in Phoenix and Larkin in Salt Lake City. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the LDS Church Missionary Fund.
Posted by Lake Family

7 comments:

MommaChelle said...

Thank you for posting this. I saw you commented on my Mom's blog. The things my grandpa taught you are things he taught me also. He always talked about HIS missionaries and he sure loved all of you. I miss him so much already! reading how he impacted sooo many people's makes me so happy to hear.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

It sounds like he had a big impact on your life. I'm sure he will be missed.

David Lake said...

I was just doing a search of my own out of curiosity, and I stumbled upon your blog. He would be so happy to see this, it is the legacy he wanted to leave. I have heard him say the same "attitude determines altitude" quote many times, and I know that even in his last week one of his greatest concerns was knowing that he was doing all that he can do, because that is all that is required. Thank you for sharing your memories!

sixmoores said...

I was looking for his obituary and came on your blog entry. It was so nice to read what you wrote about President Lake and your mission. It's interesting how so much time has past since our missions but those feelings and impressions remain so strong. It was so nice to see your family and I am glad you are doing well.

Nancy Olsen Moore

Unknown said...

You don't know me... but we obviously share a deep love for one of the finest men I've ever known. I was doing a search on the internet to find his obituary and found your blog. He was on the Stake High Council when I was in the stake RS.

I've been weepy all day long thinking about how long I'll wait to hear that voice of his again. Thanks for sharing...

Diana Paquette said...

How much Calgary loved President Lake. From the elders and sisters who served under him, to the members of the wards that he visited often. I am so deeply grateful for the lessons that I learned as a stake missionary at his hand. I look forward to a time when I shall see him come in the clouds with the Savior, and continue to learn. With much love to Marie and family,
Diana and Jessica Paquette ( Calgary)

Kevin Anderson said...

I did not know that he had passed until now. I already miss him. He was a great man.