Wednesday, January 6, 2010

it was the best of days, it was the worst of days...

Ok - not really, that's a bit overly dramatic - but I liked the sound of it. In truth, I did get some great news today and also had a weird, rather negative thing happen too.

The good news first. Aaron had "MAP testing" today. He went into it with a pretty good attitude, and I was absolutely thrilled when the teacher told me this after noon that he did GREAT! The kids do the testing 3 times a year, and the average increase each test for students is 3 points. Aaron had the largest increase of any student in his class.

Wanna take a wild guess how many points Aaron's reading score went UP????


Oh come on... guess....


26 points!!!!! ya - 26!!!!!!! (he said it was 29, so maybe I heard wrong, but I heard 26, so until I get the paper, I'm saying a 26 point increase. (of course, I HAD to ask where that put him as far as "grade level" and she said he has only about 4 points to go to be where he needs to be, and I am not clueless enough to think that we are out of the woods yet - I am all too aware that he still has serious challenges with reading comprehension, but those things not withstanding - I am so proud of him. maybe there IS light at the end of this tunnel! (and yes Jen, if you have some tricks and/or tips for me, I'd love them.)


now - the bad news. This morning I was actually working pretty steady - folding laundry, when trouble hit.

Caleb found a pair of scissors. He caught me totally off guard - Bryan too apparently, and he cut a nice slice right into the side of Bryan's ear. What a crazy mess! I called the nurse at the pediatricians office. I told her what happened, what the wound looked like, etc... and she said, "um, I've never heard of something like this happening, let me double check." Ya - me neither, but trust it to my children to break new ground...

Bryan now has 2 stitches in his ear. (I meant to take a picture of the ear, but life was a little crazy today, so maybe tomorrow...)

1 comment:

musicmom said...

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leave it to kids to find new trauma. Hope the ER visit wasn't too horrible for boy and mom both.

Congrats to Aaron on his score, hope it is up from here. P.S Tell Aaron, the boys are anxiously waiting results of his quiz. :)